"In the ghetto? Hardly. This city is beautiful." Oakland by cvilla007
Oakland Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 517 photos
One of my adopted hometowns, Oakland is located across the bay from San Francisco. It's population is about 400,000, and it has nourished an interesting jazz & arts community. Oakland has one of the largest harbors in the United States, and also is home to the US's largest saltwater lake.
Oakland is really a great place. It's only problem is that it's too close to America's most beautiful city San Francisco. In fact, when people from San Francisco are in Oakland, they say they are 'slumming'. Oakland has a dangerous, and well-deserved reputation. I suggest you check it out during the daytime. You must also see Chinatown and nearby Berkeley. Oakland is really worth visiting if you ask me.
- Pros:Proximity to San Francisco
- Cons:Proximity to San Francisco
- In a nutshell:If you can't afford to live in San Francisco, Oakland 'ain't' that bad.
George & Walt's is a place on College Avenue, in Rockridge, between Oakland and Berkeley. It's a cool place to hang out... more travel advice
Central Park Restaurant is a very good restaurant located in downtown Oakland. It is only open for lunch. They have a... more travel advice
cvilla007's Related Pages
Oakland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oakland: the other side of the Bay"
- "Surprising Oaktown"
- "Rough and Tumble... Oakland"
- "Oakland: San Francisco's Neighbor"
- "Oakland: Friends and Baseball"
- "City of Players"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oakland
- Hotels in Oakland
- Transportation in Oakland
- Nightlife in Oakland
- Restaurants in Oakland
- Shopping in Oakland
- Warnings and Dangers in Oakland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oakland
- 14 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Oakland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oakland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 29 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Bali Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Oakland Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Okinawa Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Osaka Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bellingham Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos