"A truly beautiful village." Almonaster la Real by davidcross

Almonaster la Real Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 5 photos

Setting and location

Almonaster La Real is a small village in the Siarra de Aracena. It rises steeply from a stream to the main part of the town and on the hill/mountain above it is a lovely old fortified mosque, previously a Visigothic church built on Roman remains. Immediately adjacent to this is a 19th century bullring, which I believe is still used once a year.
The photo is looking right from the tiny balcony outside my hotel bedroom.

Access

Almonaster la Real is actually a bit farther from its station than is Cortegana, a few miles which will usually mean walking. There are only two trains a day from Huelva.
It is also connected by bus with Arecena - I believe it is a beautiful route but I am afraid I missed out on it because of dodgy information given by phone. If you are staying, get the printed timetable of Casal buses early in your stay as this is accurate.

Walks

The Sierra de Aracena is the most densely waymaked with paths which I have seen in Spain. Near to Almonaster there are at least four, two starting to the left of the road to Cortegana a bit beyond the cemetery. I was unable to test these out because for health reasons I don't go where there are no people but I am sure there is a great day's walk there - linking up with a bus back if you prefer.
The other two start immediately above the village if you follow the same road the other way from the village entrance. This was not quite as devoid of people and I managed to reavh the ridge, though sadly a potentially glorious view was curtailed a bit by haze - in February!
It is also worth going down to and across the stream and up hte other side to see the mosque from other angles.

• Pros:Idyllic seetting and pretty throughout
  • Cons:Not much night life I guess!
  • In a nutshell:Great! Interesting and very relaxing.
  • Last visit to Almonaster la Real: Feb 2004
  • Intro Written Feb 26, 2004

Comments

Badges & Stats in Almonaster la Real

Have you been to Almonaster la Real?

Latest Activity in Almonaster la Real