"A truly beautiful village." Almonaster la Real by davidcross
Almonaster la Real Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 5 photos
Almonaster La Real is a small village in the Siarra de Aracena. It rises steeply from a stream to the main part of the town and on the hill/mountain above it is a lovely old fortified mosque, previously a Visigothic church built on Roman remains. Immediately adjacent to this is a 19th century bullring, which I believe is still used once a year.
The photo is looking right from the tiny balcony outside my hotel bedroom.
Almonaster la Real is actually a bit farther from its station than is Cortegana, a few miles which will usually mean walking. There are only two trains a day from Huelva.
It is also connected by bus with Arecena - I believe it is a beautiful route but I am afraid I missed out on it because of dodgy information given by phone. If you are staying, get the printed timetable of Casal buses early in your stay as this is accurate.
The Sierra de Aracena is the most densely waymaked with paths which I have seen in Spain. Near to Almonaster there are at least four, two starting to the left of the road to Cortegana a bit beyond the cemetery. I was unable to test these out because for health reasons I don't go where there are no people but I am sure there is a great day's walk there - linking up with a bus back if you prefer.
The other two start immediately above the village if you follow the same road the other way from the village entrance. This was not quite as devoid of people and I managed to reavh the ridge, though sadly a potentially glorious view was curtailed a bit by haze - in February!
It is also worth going down to and across the stream and up hte other side to see the mosque from other angles.
- Pros:Idyllic seetting and pretty throughout
- Cons:Not much night life I guess!
- In a nutshell:Great! Interesting and very relaxing.
I was here for two nights. The en-suite rooms all have telephone and TV though no English language channels. There is a... more travel advice
davidcross' Related Pages
Almonaster la Real Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Almonaster la Real
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Almonaster la Real?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almonaster la Real
Top 10 Pages
- Faroe Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 70 photos
- Salamanca Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Vardø Intro, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Just-in-Penwith Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos
- Madrid Intro, 27 reviews, 22 photos
- Palermo Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 21 photos, 2 travelogues