"After all the wandering..." j-san's Profile

Life in a small town

I'll be back to Europe and Japan on holidays from now on.

Goodbye Japan! Goodbye Asia! 1999-2005

Well, after six years of living in Kyoto, Japan, the time came to move on. Those years were amazing, life-changing and unforgettable. At times it was frustrating, lonely and EXPENSIVE!

In Japan I learnt a little patience, discovered a tiny bit of humility and most importantly - figured out how to co-ordinate my clothes, shoes, handbags and make-up! As well as how to read and speak Japanese. I never imagined that a time would come when a French film would be easier for me to understand dubbed in Japanese.

And most importantly I made the best friends in the world, most of them came and went and others I met thanks to the travel opportunities that working in Japan afforded me. I'll never forget my trips to Korea, Laos, Thailand and India. They were six years that passed like a dream.

Now, it's time for new adventures, new friends and new opportunities!

Goodbye Madrid! 2006

It was an opportunity too good to pass up and an unforgettable experience. I met the kindest people and fell in love with the tortilla (Spanish omelette) and real coffee - ideally together for breakfast at one of my favorite local cafes. Even the cigarette smoke didn't keep me away. The walks through Retiro will live in my memory, as will the pretty paved streets I trudged along on my way to work everyday, over those few months. One day, I will have to come and visit again, it was the last stop on my journey of independence.

Toronto in August

In August 2005 I visited Toronto for the first time. I finally met Laura (hayward68)! I liked the laid-back urban-artsy atmosphere, greenery and amazing restaurants. So what if it "tries to be New York" !? (hehehe) Besides, my husband and his family are from there - next visit summer 2007.

Kurama snowfall

See my Kurama snowfall travelogue for more!

I love India

One of my favorite places to visit. There is still so much more to see.

• Intro Updated Aug 22, 2010

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Kurama is always advertised as an autumn destination, but your winter pictures are beautiful!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

oh dear, did not log in VT last week, Happy Birthday still ;-)))

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Happy birthday and many happy returns of the day. Greetings from Lisbon

• hasanhanks's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

~Happy Birthday j-san~

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Happy Birthday, fellow Sag. ;)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Hi there! Thanks for letting me know about Cat's Meow's new name - I'll update my page soon :o)

• MoogieCha's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Rember me? I used to live in Kyoto, too, and had some amazing culinary experiences thanks to your recommendations on VT. Guess what? We're neighbours again! I'm back in Vancouver, BC! Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations!

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Great winter is for you that you will held your Happy birthday, and as a wish from Burmese guy that get all what you want in this blue planet,especially ,free and happy in all your time. BURMA

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Hello! You are so lucky to live in that beautiful city! I studied there and I think Victoria is a paradise! Hugs from Mexico City!!

• jh2000choi's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Hi Jitka !!! Happy new year 2008...jh from Korea...Sae Hae Bog Man I Ba Deu Se Yo 2008 in Korean...Joonghyun choi

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!