"Amfipoli - Áìößðïëç" Amfipolis by GeorgiosX
Amfipolis Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos
The name of the first town at this place was Ennea Odoi (Nine Roads), because of the nine roads that left the town.
In the time of Perikles, Amfipoli was founded by the Athenians as a colony in the place of Ennea Odoi. Later it became independent from Athens.
Philipp II, Alexander the Great's father, extended Macedonia to the river Nestos. Amfipoli was in the region that became Macedonian.
In 168 BC the Romans won the battle of Pydna against the Macedonians. They divided Macedonia into four parts. Amfipoli became the capital of the first part. It was an important town on the Via Egnatia that led from Dyrrachio to Konstantinoupoli. St. Paul passed Amfipoli when he was travelling to Greece. Amfipoli remained important until early christian times.
This museum gives a lot of information about the history of Amfipoli and the region around it, and you can see many... more travel advice
GeorgiosX's Related Pages
Amfipolis Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Amfipolis
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Amfipolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amfipolis
Photos in AmfipolisSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 55 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thessaloniki Intro, 60 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Greece Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Intro, 9 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Karyes Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heraklion Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Kilkis Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kerkyra Intro, 28 reviews, 17 photos
- Meteora Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Pieria Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue