Shanghai Transportation Tips by Guantanamera Top 5 Page for this destination
Shanghai Transportation: 273 reviews and 340 photos
Here is another shot of the same Shanghai crosswalk guard from the tip above... In this scene, the guard is having some trouble with a young wayward couple that refuses to abide the rules... The cute girl has rushed ahead with her boyfriend in tow, and now the crosswalk guard is interceding, blowing his loud whistle... Finally, the couple stops, obeying his authority... Maybe they were protected from harm, maybe it was just an unthinking imposition of rules, maybe some combination of the two... Out of all countries I have visited, China is the most over-policed, yet at the same time, one of the safest... Security has become a way of life, at the same time, creating an illusion of safety in a groundless and mercurial universe...
Pictured here is a typical street crosswalk in Shanghai, on Xizang Lu... Notice the man at the center: his whole job is to tell people when it's alright to cross the street... In most countries of the world, such a function would be completely unneccessary, but Chinese traffic, with its chaotic combination of buses, cars, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians, makes his role essential...
Pictured here, the main train station in Shanghai... As you see, people are seated in the waiting hall... They are not allowed to go to the platform until security personnel let them, just prior to the departure of the train... Also notice the electronic sign display is in Chinese, and there is no English translation... Thus, you will need to know the Chinese characters for the city you are going to in order to be sure you're in the right waiting room...
The Shanghai Metro System is quite modern and user friendly with English and Chinese signage except in the ticket area... For some reason, the ticket area subway maps and instructions are only in Chinese... Probably, they intend to upgrade those soon as both the Beijing and Guangzhou metro systems have... In this photo, Emily (VT member simcard) poses alongside one of the trains at People's Square metro station...
More Reviews (46)
Guantanamera's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 50 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guangzhou Intro, 113 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos
- Beijing Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Nanjing Lu- 57 Reviews, 93 Photos
- The Bund- 84 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Oriental Pearl Tower- 65 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Yuyuan Garden- 59 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Jade Buddha Temple- 25 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Xin Tian Di- 35 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Huangpu River Cruise- 16 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Shanghai Museum- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Jin Mao Tower- 17 Reviews, 36 Photos
- City God Temple - Chenghuangmiao- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
See All Shanghai Things to Do