"janiac's new District of Columbia Page" Washington D.C. by janiac

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,669 reviews and 15,144 photos

I live approximately 20 miles from D.C. so we visit often. We are also Washington Capital, our hockey team fans, so we go see them in D.C. often. Washington is a great city to visit.

Most of the attractions are in the same general area. I recommend that tourists sign up for the Tourmobile. When my daughter and I went in town last year to do some research on monuments, we took the Tourmobile. It is very convenient. One pass all day and it takes you to most of the memorials and interesting sites, and you can get on and off as you please.

Parking absolutely stinks in D.C., as does traffic. So take the Metro or the above-mentioned Tourmobile or plan on walking.

The great thing about DC -- most of the attractions are free. Museums are free, the zoo is free, going in the White House is free. The drawback -- in the high season of summer, you must wait in line or get to places very early.

This picture is of the Washington Memorial in the background surrounded by the famous cherry blossoms

• Pros:Many, many things to do and see
  • Cons:Terrible parking, driving can be a nightmare
  • In a nutshell:So much to see!
  • Last visit to Washington D.C.: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2003

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2012 at 5:04 AM

My last visit was Jan 2009 for Inauguration, trying` trying to squeeze in another for 2013 Jan ;-)))

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 7:09 AM

My last visit in 1995 parked at a "park & ride." Loved the subway and as always loved my national capital.

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 4:05 AM

I really like your DC tips! I will be there in the spring and would love to see the zoo and the memorials that you mentioned.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2003 at 6:51 AM

great pages and tips,lol u think parking in DC is truoble,,try parking in Cairo,Egypt,LOL...

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2003 at 6:11 AM

Absolutely, the parking here stinks! The metro is a lifesaver! No more WhiteHouse tours though, and now no more walking its perimeter either, good grief...

• stonefree's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2003 at 7:18 AM

nice page! got to go to see your cherry blossoms!

• Jan 28, 2003 at 8:54 PM

I applaud you. So many children are excluded from partaking in such activities with their parents. A+

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2003 at 9:01 PM

enjoy reading your Columbia

• Jan 14, 2003 at 8:02 PM

neat work..highly informative

• TracyG's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2002 at 10:58 AM

A brilliant start. I loved DC...

janiac

“I want to go back to Africa soooo bad!!!”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

Have you been to Washington D.C.?