Fes al Bali Things to Do Tips by venteeocho
Fes al Bali Things to Do: 10 reviews and 12 photos
Kairouyine mosque has been the centre of Islamic learning in Morocco for more than 1000 years, but its real growth to importance came in the 10th and 12th centuries, when most of its structures were added to to the rather modest original structures.
As a mosque it is rather unusual. Its large quarters have since long grown together with the rest of Fez, and unless you enter it, it is therefore almost impossible to get a grip of its real size. Fortunately there are sometimes doors open that allows non-Muslims to look inside, so that they can at least make a guess.
The Bali, or the oldest quarters of Fez,
were to a large degree saved by the French general Lyautey. When the French got in control of Morocco around the time of World War I, he made all necessary arrangements to protect the medieval structures against the modern development.
The result is that Fez el Bali has taken good care of its old architectural structures and is also very much a living city, where most streets are too narrow for cars and donkeys and mules are in common use. Just like all through its history, Fez el Bali has a striking combination of poverty and developed culture
More Reviews (7)
venteeocho's Related Pages
Fes al Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fes is just amazing and beats Marrakech hands down"
- "FEZ : the most imperial city"
- "Fes where two worlds come together"
- "Fes: the most beatiful middle age muslim town"
- "Enchanting place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fes al Bali
- Hotels in Fes al Bali
- Transportation in Fes al Bali
- Nightlife in Fes al Bali
- Restaurants in Fes al Bali
- Shopping in Fes al Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Fes al Bali
- See All...
Explore the World
- Edenderry Hotels
- Avonmouth Hotels
- Pulau Tioman
- Serikin Hotels
- Serra de Arrábida
- Rocky Neck State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Fes al Bali
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fes al Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fes al Bali
Photos in Fes al BaliSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Ibiza Intro, 28 reviews, 34 photos
- Corrientes Intro, 20 reviews, 37 photos
- Tarifa (Cadiz) Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Marbella Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Nusa Lembongan Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- San Jose Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Monterey Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Capitola Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Ushuaia Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Latest Fes al Bali hotel reviews
- Riad Numero 9
- 194 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013