"Just Amazing..." Parque Nacional del Iguazù by venteeocho
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,171 photos
The semicircular waterfall at the heart of this site is some 80 m high and 2,700 m in diameter and is situated on a basaltic line spanning the border between Argentina and Brazil. Made up of many cascades producing vast sprays of water, it is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the world. The surrounding subtropical rainforest has over 2,000 species of vascular plants and is home to the typical wildlife of the region: tapirs, giant anteaters, howler monkeys, ocelots, jaguars and caymans.
Iguazú National Park was created in 1934 by the 12.103 law,and covers an area of approximately 67.620 hectares. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984 owing to its beatifull landscapes and large biodiversity of the subtropical forest.
This natural sanctuary is located in the far NE of the Republic of Argentina. With large amounts of precipitation, warm temperatures (15ºC on average in winter and 30ºC in summer) and the thick vegetation acting as a windscreen, it experiences extremely high levels of humidity.
The Iguazú river flows for approximately 1320km until its outlet in the Paraná.
Its width generally varies between 500 and 1000m however within the park it broadens to 1.500 meters and it twists to the south, then back to the north, forming a huge U which contains the outlet. A sudden drop in altitude here is the reason for the impressive water falls which form the main attraction of the park.
In this large curved path, the rocky landscape fragments the river into a multitude of channels, each of these in turn become its own waterfall. This long fragmenting effect results in the fan of falls which gives the park its name.
The Park is reknowned for its natural heritage, which includes:
• A native flora with over 2000 species including: ferns, bromelias, orchids, palms and many large species of tree which serve as scaffolding for an equally large variety of climbing plants. These in turn provides fruits which lure the local fauna such as coatíes and toucans to name a few examples.
• 450 kinds of birds, wich can often be observed in the open in the early morning and at nightfall You can likely easily see toucans urracas teros, parrot and the incredible vencejos. This last species is endemic to Iguazú Falls.
• 80 kinds of mammals, with five varieties of felines roving the forest.
• Countless insects, specifically an immense quantity and variety of colorful butterflies.
• The numberless water courses, they are protect by yacares and grazas, and they are feed by minor fishes.
One of the most significant conservation aspects is the protection of species which are endangered such as the jaguar (Panthera onca), ocelot (Leopardus pardalis), the Black-fronted Piping-guan (Pipile jacutinga) to name a few. These species continue to survive in the park and it is hoped that this protected environment will contribute to the recovery of their numbers.
Iguazu Falls are located in the region bounded by the municipalities of Puerto Iguazu (Argentina), Foz do Iguacu... more travel advice
Designed exclusively for this park, bearing in mind special considerations (e.g. climate, local vegetation). The train... more travel advice
venteeocho's Related Pages
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!"
- "Falling Water . . ."
- "An amazing experience at Iguazu Falls"
- "The End of the Rainbow"
- "Finally to the Falls"
- "Yguazù : Agua grande !!!!!!"
- "Can you say WOW in both Spanish and Portugese?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Hotels in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Transportation in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Shopping in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Parque Nacional del Iguazù?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
Photos in Parque Nacional del IguazùSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Ibiza Intro, 28 reviews, 34 photos
- Corrientes Intro, 20 reviews, 37 photos
- Tarifa (Cadiz) Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos
- Marbella Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Nusa Lembongan Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- San Jose Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Monterey Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Capitola Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Ushuaia Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos