""my" Gateway of India..." Mumbai by pollon

Mumbai Travel Guide: 2,011 reviews and 4,035 photos

I know it's a little bit arrogant to say "my" Gateway to India but using the possessive adjective people can disagree ;-) with my impression of this charming town, which I visited twice... ok :-P the second time only for 12 hours before the flight back to Europe, and of this delighting country, at least the little that I saw of it... but my opinion definitely moves away from the common, stereotyped idea of a dirty, noisy, smelly, poor place, the food of which can make people sick... maybe I was just lucky or maybe as someone says of me, when I go to another country, I'm so happy to get to know a new place and so willing to meet new traditions, that I seem to turn a switch in myself and I like the food, the place, the people... trying to be a little bit more serious, of course India isn't one of the richest countries and the exchange with the rupee widely proves it but I found in most of the people such a a feeling of self-respect, personal worth and respect for others that it can make you forget the poverty around you... It's a colourful country and what I smelt most was the scent of the flowers hanging from the hair of almost every woman... The food is definitely hot, lots of black pepper and chilli pepper in whatever and natives don't feel it!!! But I ate local food for 21 days and not one I got sick, just the opposite...

And last but not least I had a great welcome to this country and its vibrant town by aadil who pampered me, gave me the basic about bargaining - I nicknamed him the terror of the Mumbai dealers as he bargains about "everything" ;-) - guarded me also from situations in which I slipped myself on purpose when I discovered the south of the country :-P, was a very good guide of the town, a lovely host and a dearrrrr friend!!!

• In a nutshell:colourful, lively, horning, full of contrast...
  • Last visit to Mumbai: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2005

• Skb_24's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Wow! You seem to know Mumbai In depth. Liked your photos specially Hotel near Gateway of India.

• angelalu's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Ciao, Pollon!Si capisce molto bene dalle tue parole come tu sia rimasta presa da questo posto...sicuramente una meta che vorrei toccare un giorno.. Saluti di buona estate e ottimi viaggi per te! Angela

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Really enjoyed your Mumbai Page.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Dear , Mumbai VT page is really nice , enjoyed from that , i hope see you in my country Iran .

• May 4, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Right on!!!! I agree totally!

• tranceperent's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 3:52 AM

amazing info bout my city

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 9:23 PM

Cara Chera your Mumbai home page and tips inclouded photo is very nice Ciao from Delhi.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 10:24 AM

Excellent job on Mumbai. Stays with you, doesn't it? Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 4:01 AM

Back from incredible India (still dreaming at nights about) I missed Mumbai and Aadil, but your tips seem so familiar. Indian VTer guide is a friend and a philosopher as well. Philosophy is the added value of India.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 2:08 AM

Great tips & photo's of Mumbai!

pollon

“after all, the world is full of amazing discoveries”

Badges & Stats in Mumbai