""my" Gateway of India..." Mumbai by pollon
Mumbai Travel Guide: 2,011 reviews and 4,035 photos
I know it's a little bit arrogant to say "my" Gateway to India but using the possessive adjective people can disagree ;-) with my impression of this charming town, which I visited twice... ok :-P the second time only for 12 hours before the flight back to Europe, and of this delighting country, at least the little that I saw of it... but my opinion definitely moves away from the common, stereotyped idea of a dirty, noisy, smelly, poor place, the food of which can make people sick... maybe I was just lucky or maybe as someone says of me, when I go to another country, I'm so happy to get to know a new place and so willing to meet new traditions, that I seem to turn a switch in myself and I like the food, the place, the people... trying to be a little bit more serious, of course India isn't one of the richest countries and the exchange with the rupee widely proves it but I found in most of the people such a a feeling of self-respect, personal worth and respect for others that it can make you forget the poverty around you... It's a colourful country and what I smelt most was the scent of the flowers hanging from the hair of almost every woman... The food is definitely hot, lots of black pepper and chilli pepper in whatever and natives don't feel it!!! But I ate local food for 21 days and not one I got sick, just the opposite...
And last but not least I had a great welcome to this country and its vibrant town by aadil who pampered me, gave me the basic about bargaining - I nicknamed him the terror of the Mumbai dealers as he bargains about "everything" ;-) - guarded me also from situations in which I slipped myself on purpose when I discovered the south of the country :-P, was a very good guide of the town, a lovely host and a dearrrrr friend!!!
- In a nutshell:colourful, lively, horning, full of contrast...
Bring the less you can ;-).. yes, I didn't make a mistake in writing: in Mumbai you can find maybe not exactly your... more travel advice
The Tea Centre apart from being a refined place where to have a cup of tea, a snack, or a meal has also an attached shop... more travel advice
pollon's Related Pages
Mumbai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mumbai (Bombay)"
- "My Second Home"
- "Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
- "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
- ""my" Gateway of India..."
- "Mumbai, Bombay....its all the same..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mumbai
- Hotels in Mumbai
- Transportation in Mumbai
- Nightlife in Mumbai
- Restaurants in Mumbai
- Shopping in Mumbai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mumbai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mumbai
- 44 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Mumbai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mumbai
Top 10 Pages
- Bristol Intro, 44 reviews, 186 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 44 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genoa Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Birmingham Intro, 9 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 16 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridgeshire Intro, 28 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- San José Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 1 review, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues