"Zierikzee" Zierikzee by sammie
Zierikzee Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 84 photos
When i was 5 years old i moved from a very small town to a some what bigger town, Zierikzee. Many youngsters will probable say; "what a boring city". Actually it is, if you really fancy the nightlife and clubbing. Zierikzee is more a town for those who like to see the history. Zierikzee is an "old" town and that shows, the "Sint Lievenmonster" tower can been seen from far away. Most of Zierikzee's buildings in the centre are build in the middle ages. *
This is how Zierikzee's borders are today. The purple area shows the borders of the middle ages Zierikzee. How it has grown ;-) And the city still grows. The streets in the centre are still the same way as they where in the middle ages. Only some of the buildings might have changed
During the summer there are many activities you can do. Zierikzee has many monuments you can visit, but also the shops can be much fun.
Zierikzee is the central town of the island of Schouwen-Duiveland. As long ago as the early Middle Ages, Zierikzee was a prosperous trading town. Most of the city walls, gates and historical monuments have been preserved, because, at the end of the 19th century, the city was too poor to demolish these buildings and have them replaced by new ones. That is why you walk right through history in Zierikzee. In the old tidal harbor you can admire various historical ships. In the former prison a maritime museum is established now. *
- In a nutshell:Small but alive
The story goes that in the middle ages, their were 2 old, rich ladies, who paid for this tower. 1 of the points of the... more travel advice
The tower is called The Sint Lieven Monster toren. Short "De dikke Toren". Inside the tower is a little museum and you... more travel advice
sammie's Related Pages
Zierikzee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zierikzee, a small city with monumental value"
- "MUNICIPALITY OF SCHOUWEN -- DUIVELAND."
- "Zierikzee, Holland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zierikzee
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Zierikzee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zierikzee
Photos in ZierikzeeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Zeeland Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pyramids of Giza Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- France Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salou Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Temple of Abu Simbel Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos