"The Final "Planting" Place" Plantersville by bdbrewer

Plantersville Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 16 photos

By specific request, I set out on my trusty Goldwing to explore one of our local cemetaries. It seems there is an interest in cemetaries. Like our neighboring state of Louisiana, we bury some of our dead above ground. However, in New Orleans, ALL people are buried above the ground because they are below sea level.

For those of you who are fact mongers :-) here are some for you. This particular cemetary is a city cemetary (as opposed to a privately or corporately owned cemetary). So grave plots are sold for less money here. ($350.00 vs $500.00). This cemetary was deeded to the city by the heirs of Louis Fayard in 1844. However, the land was used as a cemetary well before then. The earliest burial date on a tombstone goes back to 1811. However, unmarked graves to back even further - to the 1720s when the Fort Louis military post was adjacent to the cemetary. This means that this cemetary dates back to our French period in history. The reason more tombstones do not date back further than 1811 is that most people used cypress tombstones back then. Also, hurricanes have devestated this cemetary from time to time. There are less than 200 vacant plots left in this historic cemetary. There is no room around the cemetary to expand. The city government is looking into land elsewhere to keep the process of having a city cemetary alive (pardon the word).

Here you will see the entrance of cemetary. It's land mass begins at the beach front, overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, and goes back several city blocks. It is a beautiful setting. Huge oak trees, heavily laden with hanging moss dominates this peaceful final resting place. I would imagine it would be visually very scarey at night, however :-)) Come on in, let's take a look....

• Intro Written Nov 24, 2001

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2003 at 1:02 AM

I think this is a very interesting page. regards to the hanging moss, I had never heard of it but now you have enlightened me. We drove through Virginia this year and saw much of this, we thought it was spiders cobwebs!!! Now I know what it really was.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2003 at 4:29 PM

An unusual, but well-written page. I've never seen a page about just cemetaries on VT before!

bdbrewer

“I LOVE DEADLINES ..... ESPECIALLY THAT WHOOSHING SOUND THEY MAKE AS THEY GO RUSHING BY!!!”

Badges & Stats in Plantersville

Have you been to Plantersville?

Latest Activity in Plantersville