"Suzhou" Top 5 Page for this destination Suzhou by Paul2001
Suzhou Travel Guide: 346 reviews and 1,115 photos
Suzhou has been billed as the "Venice of the Far East". Travelers expecting to find anything resembling Venice by way of canals will be very disappointed. In fact on some of other China related pages, I have bemoaned the fact that the new China is being built at the expense of the old. I found that no other city symbolizes this problem better that Suzhou. This is not say that I disliked Suzhou because this is not the case. I actually was rather fond of it. This is a city full of pleasant neighborhoods, famous gardens, and fine temples. The problem is that much of the old historical city was torn not without the locals realizing what the did or perhaps even caring. Most of the city is very modern. The famed canals are actually scattered about the city and few in number to justify any comparisons to Venice. Another interesting feature of the city is that it was the first city in China outside of Beijing that I visited that Western-like bars in any number. This is because of the large ex-pat populations. They were lots of fun and worth dropping in on. Finally to get real impression of what Suzhou must of looked like centuries ago you must visit Tongli which is a suburb of Suzhou. Here there are many fine old canals lined by centuries old buildings. It is an excellent daytrip from Suzhou. I have included all my tips on Tongli on this page.
- Pros:Many historical monuments. Nice clean city streets
- Cons:Overpriced. Overrated.
- In a nutshell:One of China's most charming cities.
The Museum of Ancient Chines Sex Culture is one of the more interesting and provocative attractions within Tongli. The... more travel advice
The Forest of the Lions Garden may have been my favourite of the classical gardens that I visited in the Suzhou region.... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Suzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Suzhou - Gardens and Canals"
- "Fabled city of gardens"
- "Suzhou - Shang You Tian Tang Xia You Su Hang!"
- "Suzhou has it all"
- "Garden City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suzhou
- Hotels in Suzhou
- Transportation in Suzhou
- Nightlife in Suzhou
- Restaurants in Suzhou
- Shopping in Suzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Suzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suzhou
- 13 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Suzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suzhou
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 83 reviews, 143 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue