"Paul2001 to Lovely Nanjing" Top 5 Page for this destination Nanjing by Paul2001

Nanjing Travel Guide: 489 reviews and 1,286 photos

I visited Nanjing not really know what to expect of the city. It does not receive the accolades that some of it's neighboring cities like Suzhou earn but I heard that it was suppose to be a pleasant city all the same. I found that this was exactly the case. Nanjing is a very charming and modern city. However I found that it really does not have any of the big ticket attractions that draw in the tourists like other more famous cities in China. Still there are plenty of sites that are worth visiting, especially those around the Purple Mountain. It is just that nothing that I visited seemed to be a must-see.
Nanjing has a very interesting and somewhat tragic history. During the days of the Republic of China, Nanjing was the capital of the country. In 1937, the city was sacked by invading Japanese forces who conducted the infamous "Rape of Nanjing. Today the city is one of the most modern in China with great shopping, superb hotels and charming streets. If you have plenty of time to spend in China, I do recommend that you consider Nanjing as part of your tour.

• Pros:Good Shopping, Good Restaurants, Very Clean.
  • Cons:No major attractions.
  • In a nutshell:A Good Insight into the Booming China.
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2007

• Jul 6, 2010 at 3:19 AM

low dive, dirty, unfriendly and the only place in China where I have found myself involved in a fight. Avoid like the plague.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 9:37 AM

I only knew Nanjing from the "Rape of Nanking." It was nice learning about some of the sights and history of this interesting city.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 1:41 PM

I'm sure those university students were happy to find their first foreigner they could speak English with outside of school. No wonder you had a good feeling about that.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 2:29 PM

The hotel does sound wonderful, and it is fortunate that the other was under renovation. Mausoleum information was fascinating. Enjoyed your description of the Nanjung Museum. Always assured of a find read/view when I visit your pages.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 9:16 PM

what a contrast between Sofitel Galaxy Shanxi and the old city walls !

• Pat_Bangkok's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Bravo! we have same b/d

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Nanjing

Have you been to Nanjing?

Latest Activity in Nanjing