"A Day in Pingyao by Paul2001" Top 5 Page for this destination Pingyao by Paul2001

Pingyao Travel Guide: 191 reviews and 830 photos

Pingyao is probably the best example of what Chinese urban life was like during the Ming Dynasty some 400 years ago. It one of the few remaining walled cities in China. Pingyao has recently been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the fact that it has been so well preserved over the years. However today it has been discovered by the tourist world. Now there are busloads of tourists roaming the streets, buying souveniors and stuffing one of Pingyao's many museums.
I had been warned before I visited Pingyao that the town has been over touristed and that it had been Disneyified. I was fearful that I was headed to Niagara-on-the Lake in China. Upon my arrival, I found that this was not exactly the case but I do think that there is a potential for this happening. The town is saturated with tourists but mostly they stay on the main streets. If you wander around, you will find yourself investigating old alleyways that are quite interesting but tourist free.

• Pros:Extremely well preserved.
  • Cons:too many tourists
  • In a nutshell:Visiting Pingyao is like stepping back in time!
  • Last visit to Pingyao: Oct 2006
  • Intro Written Dec 9, 2006

• albaaust's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Pingyao was enchanting especially the hotel. Good tips paul. I think we may have just missed each other. I am going to check when we were there!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 8:59 AM

It's nice to see that there are still some traditional places in China that have not been ruined by development. The guesthouse looks great.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 2:09 PM

What an interesting place with great architecture !

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Pingyao

Have you been to Pingyao?

Latest Activity in Pingyao