"A Day in Pingyao by Paul2001" Top 5 Page for this destination Pingyao by Paul2001
Pingyao Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 836 photos
Pingyao is probably the best example of what Chinese urban life was like during the Ming Dynasty some 400 years ago. It one of the few remaining walled cities in China. Pingyao has recently been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the fact that it has been so well preserved over the years. However today it has been discovered by the tourist world. Now there are busloads of tourists roaming the streets, buying souveniors and stuffing one of Pingyao's many museums.
I had been warned before I visited Pingyao that the town has been over touristed and that it had been Disneyified. I was fearful that I was headed to Niagara-on-the Lake in China. Upon my arrival, I found that this was not exactly the case but I do think that there is a potential for this happening. The town is saturated with tourists but mostly they stay on the main streets. If you wander around, you will find yourself investigating old alleyways that are quite interesting but tourist free.
- Pros:Extremely well preserved.
- Cons:too many tourists
- In a nutshell:Visiting Pingyao is like stepping back in time!
To the north of the Temple of the City of God is a wonderful but surprisingly somewhat ignored, 9 Dragon Screen wall.... more travel advice
To visit all of the attractions that Pingyao has to offer, it is best to purchase the town tourist ticket. This costs... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Pingyao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An ancient,exotic city"
- "A Day in Pingyao by Paul2001"
- "Pingyao, an Ancient Town of 2700 Years of History"
- "The Best Preserved Walled City"
- "Ancient County Office"
- "Pingyao Map"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pingyao
- Hotels in Pingyao
- Transportation in Pingyao
- Nightlife in Pingyao
- Restaurants in Pingyao
- Shopping in Pingyao
- Warnings and Dangers in Pingyao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pingyao
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Pingyao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pingyao
- Posted in Travel Salzburg Forum "Re: Which area to stay in Salzburg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pingyao's Nine Dragon Screen"
- Wrote a Review Pingyao's Nine Dragon Screen in Pingyao Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of albaaust's Pingyao travel pages
- created a Pingyao Travel Page "A Day in Pingyao by Paul2001"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 85 reviews, 154 photos
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue