Toronto Tourist Trap Tips by Paul2001 Top 5 Page for this destination
Toronto Tourist Traps: 100 reviews and 49 photos
At one time I would have included Ontario Place in my must-see section however no more. Ontario Place used to be a great attraction that all ages could enjoy but sadly this is no more the case. It still has a decent but not exceptional waterpark on other rides so the kids might find the place amusing. However there is nothing that is even remotely interesting for adults here.
Why this is so is very controversial? When it was initially opened back in the 1970's, Ontario Place was full of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. Things that adults might want to visit after dark. For the most part these have closed down. There were also a couple of venues where you could see entertainment including free concerts by up and coming entertainers, other bands in the twilight of their careers or even the Toronto Symphony. This usually went on every night during the summer. The venue that this all took place in was torn down to be replaced by a huge megaconcert outdoor venue. Oh sure high price top dollar bands like R.E.M. or David Bowie might play there but they are not on concert every night. Hence there is nothing to draw people to the park after dark on many evenings. While you used to go an visit Ontario Place a couple times a year for a decent show and then it one of the nearby bars, now you are hardly ever inspired to visit for any reason. Furthermore, the albeit temporary, home of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame used to be there. It has since moved on but nothing has replaced it as an interesting showcase for adults. Even the HMCS Haida has pulled up anchor.
The place now looks rather sad. The Cinesphere, where IMAX movies are shown, might be an architectural jem but it needs to be cleaned. It is as yellow as an old sailor's tooth.
Map of the P.A.T.H.
I work in Toronto's so called downtown underground or rather the 'PATH'. I cannot fathom why I have found so many tourists wandering around lost in it's corridors. The idea of miles of underground walkways filled with shops connected all together by tunnels may seem fascinating to visit but actually they really are not that interesting. These small malls and their shops were designed as a convenience for the employees who work in the office towers that are located overtop of them so that they do not have to go outside in the cold Canadian winter. The shops themselves are not worth going out of your way to visit after all you have the Gap and HMV in virtually every other major city in world. The only site that might warrant a visit in the underground is The Hockey Hall and Fame and Museum which is located in the spectacular BCE Place building.
Fun Alternatives: Go to a real mall if you want to shop. If you are downtown, then go to the Eaton Centre. If you are staying in the suburbs check out the Yorkdale Mall.
More Reviews (80)
- See All Caribana
- See All The Power Plant
- See All One of Toronto's Most Glamourous Hotel's
- See All Multicultural Toronto
- See All The World's Biggest Bookstore
- See All My Favourite After Work Bar
- See All A Good Place for a Burger on the Harbour
- See All The Toronto Dragon Boat Festival
- When You Should Bring Winter Clothing
- Toronto the Good? Or is it?
- The TTC
Been to Toronto?Share your travels with the world!
Paul2001's Related Pages
Toronto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Toronto - "Yours to Discover""
- "Close To Home"
- "Andre Rieu's Magic Hits Toronto"
- "TORONTO Canada"
- "Paul2001's Big T.O. Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toronto
- Hotels in Toronto
- Transportation in Toronto
- Nightlife in Toronto
- Restaurants in Toronto
- Shopping in Toronto
- Warnings and Dangers in Toronto
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Toronto
- 82 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 91 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Toronto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toronto
Photos in TorontoSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 82 reviews, 139 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos
Latest Toronto hotel reviews
- Intercontinental Toronto Centre
- 1056 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Holiday Inn Select Toronto International Airport Ontario
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Center
- 580 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Belaire Hotel Toronto Airport
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- InterContinental Toronto
- 589 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
- 485 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- St. Michael's College Toronto
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- College Hostel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Toronto East
- 208 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Castlegate Bed & Breakfast Inn
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Toronto
- 671 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- New College Residence
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Banting House Inn
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Annex Garden Bed and Breakfast
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Quality Hotel & Executive Suites
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- CN Tower- 198 Reviews, 303 Photos
- Chinatown- 49 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Casa Loma- 46 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Rogers Centre - Skydome- 44 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Niagara Falls- 49 Reviews, 89 Photos
- ROM - Royal Ontario Museum- 40 Reviews, 82 Photos
- St. Lawrence Market- 37 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Harbourfront & Toronto Islands- 73 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Kensington Market- 31 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Yonge Street- 23 Reviews, 45 Photos
See All Toronto Things to Do