Toronto Favorite Tips by Paul2001 Top 5 Page for this destination
Toronto Favorites: 251 reviews and 259 photos
Favorite thing: One day I was walking on Yonge Street by the Eaton Centre and a Krishna procession started down the street. I took several pictures and watched in fascination. Then right after they marched by there was yet another parade proceeding down Yonge Street. This was the Orange Day parade. Right there in just 30 minutes I was experiencing a classic example of multiculturalism in Toronto. A blending of old generation and new. Hang around in Toronto long enough and this will happen to you too. I have accidently stumbled into cultural festivals all the time in Toronto with peoples from Romania, Russia, China and Portugal. If you are active and like to walk about, Toronto is full of such pleasurable surprises.
Spadina Avenue looking North
Favorite thing: Most large cities have a district that is designated as Chinatown. Toronto on the otherhand has something like five of them. However the one that everyone has grown to call the "official" Chinatown centres around Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue. Although this Chinatown is one that most tourist will most likely visit, it does not cater simply for them. This area is very popular with Toronto's huge Chinese population. There are countless grocery shops that they flock to. A couple of Chinese malls are also located in this neighborhood. However if you are visiting from out of town, what will most impress you with this district is the masses of high quality restaurants. If you like Chinese cuisine then there is probably no neighborhood in North America, that is so congested with so many varied restaurants featuring the various cuisines from all four corners of China. I have friends who cannot get enough of this area for this reason.
Favorite thing: This is where I like to hangout when I have a free day in Toronto. And I am not the only person who does. For many Torontoians the Beaches is their neigbhorhood in Toronto.
This neighborhood has two key attractions that draws hordes of visitors during the summer. That is a large number of interesting shops and a great urban beach.
Ashbridge's Bay is a manmade spit that jets out into Lake Ontario. On a hot day I can think of no place better to go to escape the heat. There is always a good breeze coming of the lake. The beach is fairly good for an urban beach, much of it being also manmade. It is popular with the beach volleyball and windsurfing set. The board walk which stretches for about 5km along the edge of the beach is a popular place to stroll and check out the opposite sex and to walk your dog. The only problem with the Beaches is that it is extremely crowded during the summer weekends.
Fondest memory: Besides the great shopping that is centred mostly on Queen Street, there are lots of decent restaurants and bars.
Cafe on Sumach Street, Cabbagetown
Favorite thing: Cabbagetown is one of my favourite places to hang on a nice summer day. The neighborhood is full of lovely, well restored Victorian houses from the 19th century. The whole neighborhood is picturesque. Sites in the neighborhood that are worth seeing are the Necropolis and Riverdale Farm if you are traveling with small children. The district got its name when the immigrant who settled here developed the habit of growing cabbages in the front lawn.
The neighborhood's boundries are between Jarvis Street on the west to the Don Valley on the east . To the north is Wellesley and Gerrard to the south. Sadly some of the surrounding districts, ie: Regent Park are not very nice and actually dangerous at night.
Fondest memory: The neigborhood cafes and bars can be rather cute. Most of these are on Parliament Street and Carlton Ave. I particularly recommend the Winchester for its cheap beer and good food.
Toronto's Skyline as seen from the Toronto Islands
Favorite thing: While you are in Toronto and are looking for romance or simply want to see Toronto's skyline at its best then take a trip on the Island ferry at sunset. I have done this several times and sight of seening the skyline at this time on a clear calm night never fails to mesmerize me. Ideally this should be done from Ward's Island from where the ferry cuts across to the other Island docks before returning to the Main Ferry Terminal. For just $5.00 it is a cheap way to see the city.
More Reviews (80)
- See All Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
- See All The Toronto Blue Jays
- See All Dora Keogh
- See All The Don Valley Brickworks
- See All One of Toronto's Most Glamourous Hotel's
- See All The World's Biggest Bookstore
- See All A Good Place for a Burger on the Harbour
- When You Should Bring Winter Clothing
- Toronto the Good? Or is it?
- I work in Toronto's so called...
- The TTC
Been to Toronto?Share your travels with the world!
Paul2001's Related Pages
Toronto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Toronto - "Yours to Discover""
- "Close To Home"
- "Andre Rieu's Magic Hits Toronto"
- "TORONTO Canada"
- "Paul2001's Big T.O. Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toronto
- Hotels in Toronto
- Transportation in Toronto
- Nightlife in Toronto
- Restaurants in Toronto
- Shopping in Toronto
- Warnings and Dangers in Toronto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toronto
- 85 Reviews
- 154 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 82 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Toronto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toronto
Photos in TorontoSee All Photos (154)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 85 reviews, 154 photos
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- CN Tower- 199 Reviews, 305 Photos
- Chinatown- 49 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Casa Loma- 46 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Harbourfront & Toronto Islands- 73 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Yonge Street- 23 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Niagara Falls- 50 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Rogers Centre - Skydome- 44 Reviews, 83 Photos
- St. Lawrence Market- 38 Reviews, 92 Photos
- ROM - Royal Ontario Museum- 40 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Canada's Wonderland- 22 Reviews, 41 Photos
See All Toronto Things to Do