"Paul's trip to Australia" Australia by Paul2001

Australia Travel Guide: 46,259 reviews and 119,170 photos

Australia was my first trip overseas. Therefore I consider my journey there was one of the most important events in my life. That said in hindsight it was a rather disappointing trip. Australia itself should not be blamed for this because it is actually a wonderful country. The reason I had a somewhat of a bad time in Australia has more to do with the circumstances and my planning of the journey. As I had never traveled abroad before I really did not understand how important it is to have a good travel guide(which I did not, I have never used Fodor's again.) so as to know just what to see, where to go, eat, sleep, drink and eat. Furthermore a friend I was suppose to stay with while in Sydney had to leave the country before I got there. This meant I was on my own once I got there and I really did not know much about Sydney. Regardless I did get to see lots of the sights but I did waste sometime visiting things that I really should not have bothered with. Also I made the mistake of attempting a Coach tour(Contiki) up the Australian Eastern coast. It was a disaster. Not so much because the people on the tour where a bunch of jerks or anything like that. They were for the most part quit nice but I am something of an introvert. I tend to find large crowds suffocating and need room to do the things that I want to do and see. I do not like to be asked to be jovial on cue. I decided that I would rather spend time in jail than take another Coach tour. I have avoided them when I can ever since.
That I said my trip to Australia was a growing experience and I hope that this page will lend you hand in your own explorations of this magnificent country.

• Pros:Lots and lots of places to get wet and play.
  • Cons:Drunken louts in Queensland's bars.
  • In a nutshell:A Country that Should Have Something For Everyone
  • Last visit to Australia: Nov 1987
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2003

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:21 AM

What a wonderful overview of Australia. Hans and I hope to go there next year. I esp. liked the tip about Reef HQ - amazing.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM

An interesting "learning travel" experience in Australia, Paul. Pity you felt you'd missed so much - but the good news is that it provides the excuse to revisit with the benefit of experience!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2007 at 8:05 PM

well you managed to see and do quite a lot - more than i have done and seen and i live here

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 2:38 PM

Bus tours are always a great education:-] No bus tours to the Carpathians, I hope ;-\

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 12:52 PM

Very good page, shame you didn't have a better time at Frasier Island, it is a very impressive plae as you suspect!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 1:04 PM

an interesting page & great pics ! It is a pity that Australia is still missing on my map :-((

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2005 at 2:35 AM

I love you straightforward, intelligent, incisive style. I did lots of smiling as I read your adventures, especially the tour. You have an understated, engaging turn of phrase, which I appreciate. Superior.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 1:50 PM

Hi Paul, I really enjoyed your intro here because I can relate to it - thanks for the chuckle : ) We all live and learn! I, too, tried a tour once and I won't be doing it again!

• Jan 2, 2005 at 12:31 PM

Nice page! Can't wait to OZ myself. Hopefully soon!!

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2004 at 2:01 PM

Informative and funny tips, as well as great pics :) That's what I like about Paul's pages. Thanks for sharing your experience on Australia :)

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Australia

Have you been to Australia?

Latest Activity in Australia