"Auschwitz-Birkenau" Top 5 Page for this destination Oswiecim by Paul2001

Oswiecim Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 980 photos

You have come to Oswiecim for just one reason and that is to visit the concentration camps of Auschwitz-Birkenau and to homage to nearly 2,000,000 people who were murdered here by the Nazi regime.
From the summer of 1940 to January 1945 Auschwitz and its annex camp Birkenau were the final destination for all who were targets of hatred as seen by Hitler and his followers. This included initially political enemies but soon included the Jews. About 90 per cent of those killed at these camps were in fact Jews whom Hitler believed were the source of all that was evil in the world. The killing went on until the camp was liberated by the Soviet Red Army in January 1945.
Today the site has been tranformed into a museum which should be visited by all civilized people as an educational experience. Auschwitz serves as a reminder of easily a so-called civilized people can easily slip into state of barbarity when we lose ourselves in hate.
I visited Auschwitz on an unusually cool day with a thick overcast. I had a cold and generally was not feeling well. Naturally this intensified the sullen mood of the place. However the somber emotions I felt well taking a tour of Auschwitz would have hardly changed if the weather was perfect. Each exhibit is well enough displayed so as you never lose a sense despair for the people that suffered here.
I also visited Auschwitz on a tour which, is rare for me. I usually do not take tours but the one I took was quite informative.

• Last visit to Oswiecim: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

An excellent page on a very sad part of history.

• Grazina's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Wow! It amazing that the world didn't do anything soon to prevent this evil...Thanks to those countries that step in to save the remnant of God's people (Jewish Nation).

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 8:36 AM

A sad reminder of the past & a place of warning for the future

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 7:48 PM

We visited Birkenau some years ago. I've yet to write about it. Thank you, Paul

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 4:29 PM

Although most of us usually travel for pleasure, this is an example of how travel can be a learning experience, and not necessarily pleasurable.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 12:26 PM

A somber reminder, an ironic situation, a sad memorial to a disgusting period in world history. Your straightforward presentation is the perfect method of broadcasting the message of "Never Again". Thank you, Paul.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 12:58 PM

60 years after the liberation of Auschwitz some people seem not to know enough about what happened there. Some call the place ' a Polish concentration camp'. But luckily others, like you, not only care but also want to tell others about this place.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 9:58 AM

Chilling! Sobering! Unsettling! I agree - we need to remember.

• Nov 10, 2004 at 1:15 AM

Great page. We NEED to remember.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 2:05 PM

What a very moving and well-written page this is. I was affected alone by Paris's Memorial de Martyrs de La Deportation; I can't imagine the feeling I'd get if I visit Auschwitz.

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Oswiecim

Have you been to Oswiecim?

Latest Activity in Oswiecim