"Paul2001's 34 Days in China!" Top 5 Page for this destination China by Paul2001
China Travel Guide: 30,703 reviews and 88,008 photos
China was a country that was high on my list of nations I felt that I had visit. This was because I knew that it had such a rich history and culture. However today's China was also something that I wanted to see. This is a nation with one of the fastest growing economies in the world. It is going through an economic boom rarely mated in world history. This of course also made visiting China a rather urgent mission. I have read that China as being growing at the expense of it's history. There is a concern that there is hardly anything left of historical China that will give you glimpse into China's storied past. To make room for the building boom that is presently going on in many of China's cities, old buildings and neighborhoods are being flattened to make room for high-rises. The result is largely characterless cities saturated with office towers. I wanted to see China while there was still something of the past worth seeing.
I visited China not knowing what to expect as so much was changing so fast. I found that indeed as result of the economic boom, much of historical has been bulldozed to make way for "progress". Still there are many ancient monuments that are worth visiting. The problem is finding them. China is a large country. Traveling from attraction to attraction is usually easy but at other times simply a pain in the neck. This was the biggest downside of my journey. Another was the startling paradoxes that touring China presented. The cities are at the same time spotlessly clean but horribly polluted. The Chinese never seem to litter but spit everywhere. Roads and highways are now very modern but traffic is chaotic. The people can be at times quite rude but in turn extremely helpful. All of this left me feeling very ambivalent and even bewildered about China. When people ask me if I enjoyed it, I simply reply that China was interesting. So I must conclude if you want to have an interesting time and see a country on the move, then China is the nation for you.
- Pros:Great Attractions. Amazing cuisine. Rich Culture.
- Cons:Terrible traffic. Pollution! Spitting!
- In a nutshell:One of the most complex nations in the world.
At the halfway point up to the top of the mountain at Tai Shan is a cable car. For many this will be a welcoming sight... more travel advice
One of my mother's best friends visited China in 1982. On the plane back, a fellow traveler bellowed out, "I am not... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
China Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "China is wonderful!"
- "China - My Roots"
- "Paul2001's 34 Days in China!"
- "China by yourself, incredibly easy!"
- "China - the Middle Kingdom"
- See All...
- Things to Do in China
- Hotels in China
- Transportation in China
- Nightlife in China
- Restaurants in China
- Shopping in China
- Warnings and Dangers in China
- See All...
Badges & Stats in China
- 129 Reviews
- 271 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to China?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in China
- updated a China Travel Page "Paul2001's 34 Days in China!"
- Posted in Travel Toronto Forum "Re: Aussie visitor would like to..."
- Wrote a Review The Cable Car to the Top of Taishan in China Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Cable Car to the Top of Taishan"
- Commented on one of traveldave's China travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 86 reviews, 158 photos
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 53 reviews, 108 photos
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Switzerland Intro, 31 reviews, 90 photos
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos