"Paul2001's 34 Days in China!" Top 5 Page for this destination China by Paul2001

China Travel Guide: 30,107 reviews and 85,875 photos

China was a country that was high on my list of nations I felt that I had visit. This was because I knew that it had such a rich history and culture. However today's China was also something that I wanted to see. This is a nation with one of the fastest growing economies in the world. It is going through an economic boom rarely mated in world history. This of course also made visiting China a rather urgent mission. I have read that China as being growing at the expense of it's history. There is a concern that there is hardly anything left of historical China that will give you glimpse into China's storied past. To make room for the building boom that is presently going on in many of China's cities, old buildings and neighborhoods are being flattened to make room for high-rises. The result is largely characterless cities saturated with office towers. I wanted to see China while there was still something of the past worth seeing.
I visited China not knowing what to expect as so much was changing so fast. I found that indeed as result of the economic boom, much of historical has been bulldozed to make way for "progress". Still there are many ancient monuments that are worth visiting. The problem is finding them. China is a large country. Traveling from attraction to attraction is usually easy but at other times simply a pain in the neck. This was the biggest downside of my journey. Another was the startling paradoxes that touring China presented. The cities are at the same time spotlessly clean but horribly polluted. The Chinese never seem to litter but spit everywhere. Roads and highways are now very modern but traffic is chaotic. The people can be at times quite rude but in turn extremely helpful. All of this left me feeling very ambivalent and even bewildered about China. When people ask me if I enjoyed it, I simply reply that China was interesting. So I must conclude if you want to have an interesting time and see a country on the move, then China is the nation for you.

• Pros:Great Attractions. Amazing cuisine. Rich Culture.
  • Cons:Terrible traffic. Pollution! Spitting!
  • In a nutshell:One of the most complex nations in the world.
  • Last visit to China: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2007

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 12:34 AM

You did a great tour of China with many interesting places. Great page!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Your comments are very good and interesting Gracias!!!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Wonderful pages!! China is next on our list. Hope to go this Fall.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM

What an interesting page,Paul, and great updates again ! China is on the top of my travel-dream-list !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Thanks for such an honest look at China...the spitting, pollution, and cutting in line was something I did not know about. Loved the temples, especially the hanging ones. Also was in awe of the caves. Great hotel tips. Superior work.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for your holiday wishes. You certainly seem to have made the most of your 34 days in China. Interesting, comprehensive tips. Fascinating account of the pros and cons of train travel in China.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM

great page on China!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 4:36 PM

My day trip to Guangzhou from Hong Kong pales in comparison to the 34 days you spent in China. I'd love to see more of this fascinating country. I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Paul2001