"Paul's Journey Through Japan" Japan by Paul2001
Japan Travel Guide: 21,887 reviews and 63,276 photos
Way back in 1990 I decided to take the accept a close friend's invitation to visit him in Japan where he was teaching English. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to visit a country that we see and read so much about but really very few of us actually experience first hand. I found this to be a very unique adventure because much to my surprise, though many Westerners live in Japan, very few seem to actually visit it as tourist. In fact I was the only unguided traveler that I came across while in Japan. I assume that the legendary great expensive costs of the place is partly responsible for this, however I really did not find it that expensive. At least not in 1990 when the Yen was trading somewhat more favourably against the Canadian dollar. Still the place is not cheap but there are tricks to keeping the cost of a trip to Japan in order. Avoid taxis, eat where the Japanese eat, stay where the Japanese businessmen stay. At the time I was paying about $60.00Cdn a night for a room.
Overall I think that the trip proved to be very educational and overall very successful. As it was at that time the first country that I visited where I was a racial minority, spoke virtually none of the language and knew little of the culture and history. All this had both its good and bad effects on the overall impressions that I now have of my journey. Actually my worst experience was with the weather because it was very hot (38C in Hiroshima) and at times quite rainy. However overall I do not regret for a moment that I went to Japan and I highly recommend it as a travel destination.
- Pros:Great cultural and historical sites, Fantastic scenery.
- Cons:Japanese xenophobic racism.
- In a nutshell:An Educational Experience
The Great Buddha, or Daibutsu, of Kamakura is the one the most recognizable images one has of Japan. The Great Buddha is... more travel advice
Although it was not quite my favourite monument in Kyoto, the Heian Shrine should be visited for its historical... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Japan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAND AND NATURE OF JAPAN"
- "Nihon sugoi desu! (Japan is wonderful!)"
- "Japan has, what you've never experienced"
- "High Culture & Modernity"
- "Japan, My Friends, Our Trip...."
- "Paul's Journey Through Japan"
- "Tadaima!! (I came back!!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Japan
- Hotels in Japan
- Transportation in Japan
- Nightlife in Japan
- Restaurants in Japan
- Shopping in Japan
- Warnings and Dangers in Japan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Japan
- 49 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Japan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Japan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 86 reviews, 158 photos
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 53 reviews, 108 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 39 reviews, 118 photos
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos