"Paul's Poland Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Poland by Paul2001
Poland Travel Guide: 17,496 reviews and 47,250 photos
My trip to Poland left me with somewhat mixed emotions. This as less to do with Poland and the Poles than it does with just dumb luck. As any Pole will testify, the weather in September and October of 2002 was basically dreadful. During most of my trip the weather was both cold and rainy especially while I was in Gdansk and Krakow. For the most part this made wandering the streets of the Polish cities was rather uncomfortable. Naturally it did not make hiking in Tatras Mountains a pleasant experience either. Still I did get some sun in these wonderful mountains.
The weather aside I still found Poland to a generally engaging country well worth a visit if you are travelling to this part of Europe. Poland is full of great castles to explore, fantastic mountain scenery, and stunning town squares to laze away in(if it not raining). To my surprise Poland has some of the best baroque architecture in Europe which makes several of the town squares (or ryneks) to be very pleasant and colourful eye candy.
Poland is also now full of great places to eat which I understand was not always the case. Only recently have so many restaurants opened up to accommadate the tourists that now flock to the country. Finally in comparison to Western Europe Poland is quite affordable with dinners rarely costing more than $10.00 or hotel rooms over $50.00. It is a great place to travel on a budget.
On the negative side I had other problems in Poland other than the weather. Amongst the 30 years of age plus crowd there is very little English which can be a problems if you lack the patients to deal with people by pointing. The art galleries
are rather uneven affairs. Some like Poznan's National Gallery have a decent collection of European and Polish art. But other galleries are overrated and to put it bluntly, boring. A lot of this may have to do with the quality of Polish art which is not always up to international standards. Perhaps this is why these galleries seem to suffer from a paucity of visitors. Finally I was somewhat disappointed by some of the Gothic houses of worship in Poland. This is surprising because Poland has some wonderful Gothic secular buildings. However Poland has some of the ugliest Gothic churches that I have ever seen.
I do not think that these negatives should dissuade you from visiting Poland if the opportunity arises. It is on a whole a very pleasant country, and if the weather holds up I am certain that you will have a great time.
One of the most compelling experiences that you can have while touring Poland is a visit to Auschwitz. The Nazi extermination camp is now a museum. It is located outside of Krakow and is best visited as a daytrip from there. I have a seperate Auschwitz page for those wishing to explore it.
- Pros:Pretty town squares. Great Castles. Some Really Good Bars.
- Cons:Rude railway personal. Indifferent museums
- In a nutshell:Poland-An Affordable Alternative.
Koœció³ Bo¿ego Cia³a, the Church of Corpus Christi, is a fine Gothic church located in Krakow's Kazimierz district. This... more travel advice
St. John's Cathedral is the first religious building that I visited in Poland. It is a rather sad place for it seems to... more travel advice
- See All Decent Midpriced Hotel in Zakopane
- Fine Italian Restaurant on the Rynek in...
- See All Poznan's Stary Rynek
Paul2001's Related Pages
Poland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paul's Poland Page"
- "Between East and West .... in central Europe"
- "Republic of Poland"
- "Sharrie's Poland Life-force"
- "Countless reasons to Fall in Love...."
- "Poland - I wouldn't like to live somewhere else"
- "Why don't you come to Poland?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poland
- Hotels in Poland
- Transportation in Poland
- Nightlife in Poland
- Restaurants in Poland
- Shopping in Poland
- Warnings and Dangers in Poland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poland
- 61 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Poland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poland
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 83 reviews, 143 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos