"Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk" Top 5 Page for this destination Ephesus by Paul2001
Ephesus Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,942 photos
Ephesus is generally considered to be the best preserved Roman ruins in the Eastern Mediterranean. This makes the site one of the most important attractions in Turkey and for certain, one of the most crowded.
The history of Ephesus begins with actually serving as a port for in ancient times, the seacoast was much further inland than it is today. During these times it was sort of a prosperous city-state. Unfortunately, the locals were not all that keen on military affairs and envious neighbors attacked and destroyed the place. The city was rebuilt but fell under the political control of the series of invaders that dominated the region. Eventually the city fell under the control of the Romans. They much admired the city and its premiere attraction, the Temple of Artemis. Each succeeding emperor would do what he could to enhance its beauty, hence such stunning buildings like the Library of Celsus were built. The city fell into decline when its port began to silt up. By the 7th century A.D. it was basically nothing more than a provincal town.
Thankfully, as in the case of the most great ruins, because the city was essentially ignored over the centuries, the ruins were not built over by other buildings. Therefore the city survived relatively well preserved. Today it is visited by hordes of tourists in the busloads. This means that you should visit the city early in the day. It is open from 8am to 7pm during the tourist season. It cost $10.00 for admission.
- Pros:One of the great archeaological ruins in the Mediterranean
- Cons:Sometimes very hot and always very crowded
- In a nutshell:A visit to Turkey is not complete until you have visited Ephesus
Not much remains of the Church of the Blessed Virgin. It was built in the late 5th century B.C. The church had various... more travel advice
The Grand Theatre is one of the most spectacular monuments in Ephesus. It is dramatically set against the slopes of Mt.... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 19 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
- Posted in Travel Toronto Forum "Re: Staying in Toronto"
- Wrote a Review The Church of the Blessed Virgin in Ephesus Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Church of the Blessed Virgin"
- Commented on one of truus_s's Ephesus travel pages
- updated a Ephesus Travel Page "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
Photos in EphesusSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 83 reviews, 143 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos