"Goreme and Cappadocia" Top 5 Page for this destination Goreme by Paul2001
Goreme Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,590 photos
In all my travels, I have rarely had as much fun exploring, wandering and investigating as I had during my four days in Cappadocia. Famed for its supposedly lunar landscape, Cappadocia attracts travelers from all over the globe. I have never met so many travelers from so many different nations as I met in Cappadocia. But it is not for just the wild scenery that people are drawn to Cappadocia for it is also the home fascinating monasteries and underground cities carved out of the walls and ground throughout the region. Cappadocia is never dull as there is so much here to see. As I stated I spent almost four full days here and I felt that there was plenty that I missed and wished I had stayed longer.
For those planning a visit to Cappadocia it is best to base yourself in one of central towns in the region like Goreme, my pick, or Urgup. From there it is wise to catch one or two of the many bus tours offered around the region. I do not usually take such tours but as the distances were too great for me to reach all of the sites that I wanted to see, I thought it was a sensible decision. The one flaw with Cappadocia is that some of the sites on the periphery are hard to reach by public transport. So unless you have a vehicle of your own, take a tour.
Cappadocia has a glut of hotels, hence it is actually cheap to stay here. That makes a longer stay seem all the more attractive. The longer you stay the better because for sure you will find the experience unforgettable.
- Pros:Spectacular Scenery. Great Religious Sites. Cheap but Great Hotels
- Cons:Public Transit Could Be Better. Easy To Get Lost In The Valleys
- In a nutshell:Turkey's Greatest Rural Attraction
Uchisar Castle is a rocky volcanic outcrop located in the village of Uchisar. The rock is riddled with tunnels and... more travel advice
I had not even thought of including a visit to the Agzikara Hani in my plans while touring Cappadocia. However I bus... more travel advice
- See All Zelve Open-Air Museum
- Cheap Eats and Drinks in Goreme
- Sometimes a really hot spot for a drink...
Paul2001's Related Pages
Goreme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!"
- "Göreme and Cappadocia"
- "Goreme Open-Air Museum"
- "The magical, fantasy world of Kapadokya"
- "Goreme and Cappadocia"
- "For those who into art history"
- "out of this world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goreme
- Hotels in Goreme
- Transportation in Goreme
- Nightlife in Goreme
- Restaurants in Goreme
- Shopping in Goreme
- Warnings and Dangers in Goreme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goreme
- 20 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Goreme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goreme
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 82 reviews, 139 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos