"Goreme and Cappadocia" Top 5 Page for this destination Goreme by Paul2001

Goreme Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,590 photos

In all my travels, I have rarely had as much fun exploring, wandering and investigating as I had during my four days in Cappadocia. Famed for its supposedly lunar landscape, Cappadocia attracts travelers from all over the globe. I have never met so many travelers from so many different nations as I met in Cappadocia. But it is not for just the wild scenery that people are drawn to Cappadocia for it is also the home fascinating monasteries and underground cities carved out of the walls and ground throughout the region. Cappadocia is never dull as there is so much here to see. As I stated I spent almost four full days here and I felt that there was plenty that I missed and wished I had stayed longer.
For those planning a visit to Cappadocia it is best to base yourself in one of central towns in the region like Goreme, my pick, or Urgup. From there it is wise to catch one or two of the many bus tours offered around the region. I do not usually take such tours but as the distances were too great for me to reach all of the sites that I wanted to see, I thought it was a sensible decision. The one flaw with Cappadocia is that some of the sites on the periphery are hard to reach by public transport. So unless you have a vehicle of your own, take a tour.
Cappadocia has a glut of hotels, hence it is actually cheap to stay here. That makes a longer stay seem all the more attractive. The longer you stay the better because for sure you will find the experience unforgettable.

• Pros:Spectacular Scenery. Great Religious Sites. Cheap but Great Hotels
  • Cons:Public Transit Could Be Better. Easy To Get Lost In The Valleys
  • In a nutshell:Turkey's Greatest Rural Attraction
  • Last visit to Goreme: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Have to agree with you about Ihlara valley, same thing happened with me. A 7ft American took the lead, so you can imagine how fast they went, I couldn't keep up, and saw very little. Was not happy!

• albaaust's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2007 at 8:17 AM

Once again some great tips Paul that we will use. BTW how did you get to Goreme?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Fascinating descriptions of the underground cities and the Selime Monastery.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2006 at 1:57 PM

Turkey is one of my favorite countries and was nice to remember this special place. A delightful experience indeed. Thanks for this wonderful tour.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 2:14 PM

a lot of great infos and excellent pics about one of the most unique landscapes on earth !

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Excellent tips, so insightful & informative! They're going right into my Travel Guide, thanks...W

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 7:01 PM

very interesting tips. the hotel sounds like a delight!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 9:16 AM

Very interesting tips on Goreme, our hotel was even cheaper than yours! Good suggestion on hiring a guide, the experience we had with one was wonderful :-)

• Aug 10, 2004 at 8:56 AM

Thanx for Great informations and pictures. Goreme is lovely town in the middle of magical landscape. Ottoman House is the nicest hotel I have stayed in Turkiye. But their home page is http://www.ottomanhouse.com.tr Many Thanks for all

• Jul 9, 2004 at 11:16 PM

I have stayed at Ottoman House hotel. Lovely place with a breathtaking view. But Their home page is: htttp://www.ottomanhouse.com.tr

Paul2001