"Paul's Petra Page" Petra by Paul2001

Petra Travel Guide: 986 reviews and 2,536 photos

Petra ranks as one of the most important archeological sites in the world and if you are spending much time the Middle East, you just must see.
The site was founded by the Ancient Nabataens, an Arabic people. Petra prospered because of its location on the caravan routes during the times of the Roman Empire.
It is a series of temples and granaries carved into the cliff sides two thousand years ago. Though some of the carvings of eroded substantially, others are superbly well preserved. Furthermore the kilometer walk through the canyon that leads to the complex is quite spectacular.
I visited Petra on a bus tour from Eliat in Israel. I do not recommend this for two reasons. Firstly, because the site is so large that it takes more than a day to see it all, where as the tour only spent about four hours there. Secondly, the bus ride to the site was long and boring as was the long spell we spent waiting at the Jordanian border.

• Pros:An Extraordinary Archeological Site
  • Cons:The hawker's can be a pain. Expensive for the Middle East.
  • In a nutshell:Jordan's Premiere Attraction
  • Last visit to Petra: Nov 1996
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2004

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I was there in 1985 and there were no buggies but some horses. I got some sort of heat stroke or something and had a very hard walk back, I actually had to be pushed... nevertheless it was a great place.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 6:57 AM

Interesting page with wonderful photos . I especially liked the Collonaded Street and the red hue of the buildings. Definitely going to watch the movie now !

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for visiting my Toronto page, Paul! I hadn't realised the St Lawrence was in such a dodgy area! Great Petra tips....it's one of the most amazing places I've ever visited! You're correct, a daytrip is too rushed to do justice to the place.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 4:08 AM

Wonderful and fascinating page on Petra Paul. I love ruins like this. Also thanks so much for visiting my Niagara on the Lake page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Actually I've never seen that movie, but my younger son has been to Petra and took some photos which he showed me a couple weeks ago when I visited him in Stuttgart. I like your tips. Your explanations are very cogent as always.

• Jan 25, 2006 at 3:41 PM

do you know where the blint in the name of the al-blint temple came from????You can see why I'm curious

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 12:18 AM

Excellent page about that great place. Thanks for sharing,Paul.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Petra is really an amazing place. I wouldn't mind going there again.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 6:35 PM

Petra is high on my wish list. Thank you for sharing your photos and informations about this magnificent place.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 2:37 PM

You just taught me quite a bit about Petra! It was fascinating to see the The Colonnaded Street, as I had only ever seen close up pictures of Petra before. Very nice page!

Paul2001