"Paul's Petra Page" Petra by Paul2001
Petra Travel Guide: 986 reviews and 2,536 photos
Petra ranks as one of the most important archeological sites in the world and if you are spending much time the Middle East, you just must see.
The site was founded by the Ancient Nabataens, an Arabic people. Petra prospered because of its location on the caravan routes during the times of the Roman Empire.
It is a series of temples and granaries carved into the cliff sides two thousand years ago. Though some of the carvings of eroded substantially, others are superbly well preserved. Furthermore the kilometer walk through the canyon that leads to the complex is quite spectacular.
I visited Petra on a bus tour from Eliat in Israel. I do not recommend this for two reasons. Firstly, because the site is so large that it takes more than a day to see it all, where as the tour only spent about four hours there. Secondly, the bus ride to the site was long and boring as was the long spell we spent waiting at the Jordanian border.
- Pros:An Extraordinary Archeological Site
- Cons:The hawker's can be a pain. Expensive for the Middle East.
- In a nutshell:Jordan's Premiere Attraction
The Temenos Gate was probably the entrance to the Qsar Al-Blint Temple. The gateway is decorated with very well... more travel advice
The Obelisk Tomb is one of the more interesting monuments on the Eastern side of Siq Gorge. It is called the "Obelisk... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 16 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Photos in PetraSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 82 reviews, 139 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos