"Masada" Top 5 Page for this destination Masada by Paul2001
Masada Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 549 photos
Masada is the most impressive archeological site that I visited while in Israel. It is an ancient fortification built, mostly by King Herod the Great, on top of a mountain plateau. Seemingly impregnable, it fell to the Romans in 73 A.D. after a legendary siege. As the story goes, the fortress was defended by Jewish Zealots after Roman captured nearby Jerusalem in 70 A.D. Because the steep slopes of mountain face made a direct assault impossible, the Roman, in an equally marvelous feat of engineering built a ramp up on side of the mountain face inorder to access the fortress walls. Finally after the ramp was completed and the fall of the fortress seemed but certain, the Zealots rather than facing enslavement by the Romans, committed mass suicide.
I have read elsewhere that this may not have been the actual facts about the fortresses capture however its stoic defense had made Masada the stuff of legends. Today Masada is symbolic of Jewish national heroism.
- In a nutshell:Israel's Greatest Archeological Site
There are numerous storeroom located in Masada that you can explore. The one that you see in this photo would have been... more travel advice
Unless you want to walk up the remains of the Roman ramp on the north side of the mountain, the only way up to the ruins... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Masada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)"
- "Once upon a time..."
- "Massada the Fortress"
- "Masada National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masada
- Hotels in Masada
- Transportation in Masada
- Nightlife in Masada
- Restaurants in Masada
- Shopping in Masada
- Warnings and Dangers in Masada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Masada
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Masada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masada
Photos in MasadaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 83 reviews, 143 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 105 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos