"Paul's Journey Through Belgium" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium by Paul2001

Belgium Travel Guide: 22,203 reviews and 55,896 photos

From the point of view of a North American, Belgium does not get the respect that it deserves. I mean you never hear of anyone saying I am going to Belgium for a holiday. Furthermore if they go there, it is on their way from France to Germany or the Netherlands.
Personally I think Belgium is in fact the most overlooked country in Western Europe. Cities like Brussels, Ghent, and Antwerp are all full of outstanding art galleries, medieval monuments, beautiful town squares, magnificent cathedrals, and of course their world famous belfries. Most of all Belgium should be visited for Bruges, an UNESCO site. It is as perfectly preserved a medieval city that you are going to find in Europe. Oh by the way did I mention that Belgium has the greatest beer in world(sorry Germany). With so many different brewers, every trip to a bar is an adventure to be experienced.
So, with the exception of Bruges, if you want to get off of the beaten track in Europe, then give Belgium some consideration. I do not think that you will regret your journey.

• Pros:Under touristed cities. Possibly the greatest beer in the World.
  • Cons:Some of the locals can be rather cold. The weather can be downright miserable
  • In a nutshell:Europe's Most Overlooked Gem!
  • Last visit to Belgium: Sep 2000
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Excellent tips with excellent pictures of the must sees around Belgium!thanks for your tour. though places such as Bouillion and Rochefort are also very nice to see too.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM

thanx for the good tips!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 9:31 AM

As always, I enjoyed reading your thoughtful and informative tips, especially your assessments of the various art museums. I recently visited Brussels and have now started writing a VT page on that city, which I hope to be able to put up in a few days.

• noonoo67's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Im very sorry that you found Oostend center threatening, but i think it is one of the most friendliest place in Northern Europe. I do hope that what you say about the redevelopement is not true, as thats what makes this city so special.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 12:47 PM

A good tour through Belgium Paul = so much great architecture & museums to admire = enjoyed the tour thanks

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM

Just like you I think the Dinant area is one of our most lovely regions. I guess you must also have visited the Molignée valley? Nice page. Lots of good tips! Glad you liked Antwerp too.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 12:02 PM

I totally agree with your opinion about Belgium, Paul. There are so many beautiful places to discover. Wonderful overview. Happy Easter! Diana

• bali_junkie's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 6:50 PM

Hi Paul, wish you a happy new year. Very interesting to know about Belgium beers. I enjoyed your well-written pages. Will be coming back more often :-D

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2005 at 3:00 PM

an interesting page and great pics ! I see that there is still a lot for me to explore in Belgium !

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 2:05 PM

Thanks for another good virtual trip. Marcia

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Belgium

Have you been to Belgium?

Latest Activity in Belgium