"Aurangabad" Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad by Paul2001
Aurangabad Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 661 photos
The Ellora and Ajanta caves are near Aurangabad. Together the two cave systems are the most remarkable in India and should not be missed by those who are interested in India's artistic history. Aurangabd itself also has a cave system that is worth a visit too. There is also an interesting old fortress near the Ellora caves with great view from its summit. Be sure to bring water if you choose to climb up to it. Overall I found that there is enough to see in the region of Aurangabad that made it worth a three day stop. However after it mentioning all of this, I am surprised how few foriegn tourists actually visit this part of India. Other than the foriegners I met while I was there, none I had encountered elsewhere in India intended upon touring Aurangabad or even had heard of it. I attribute part of this to fact that Aurangabad is not the easiest destination in India to reach. It involves a nine hour bus trip from Mumbai and there is no direct route by rail. I actually flew to Aurangabad but I had problems leaving. This is a shame for as I have said the cave complexes here are the most remarkable in all of India.
- Pros:Absolutely stunning sculpture and architecture
- Cons:Hard to get to. No place to eat near Ellora
- In a nutshell:The Must See Destination in India that Few People Actually Do See
Cave 10 is commonly known as the Carpenter Cave. It is the most highly regarded of the Buddhists Caves in Ellora. The... more travel advice
Cave 26 is another of Ajanta's most important caves. It is a Buddhist Cave with a Chaitya Hall. The Buddha himself is... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Aurangabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fantastic Sights in Aurangabad"
- "Ajanta & Ellora caves"
- "Travel Hub to Amazing Cave Temples"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aurangabad
- Hotels in Aurangabad
- Transportation in Aurangabad
- Restaurants in Aurangabad
- Shopping in Aurangabad
- Warnings and Dangers in Aurangabad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aurangabad
- 15 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Aurangabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aurangabad
Photos in AurangabadSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 86 reviews, 158 photos
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 53 reviews, 108 photos
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Switzerland Intro, 31 reviews, 90 photos
- United States of America Intro, 48 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 29 reviews, 90 photos