"Aurangabad" Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad by Paul2001

Aurangabad Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 628 photos

The Ellora and Ajanta caves are near Aurangabad. Together the two cave systems are the most remarkable in India and should not be missed by those who are interested in India's artistic history. Aurangabd itself also has a cave system that is worth a visit too. There is also an interesting old fortress near the Ellora caves with great view from its summit. Be sure to bring water if you choose to climb up to it. Overall I found that there is enough to see in the region of Aurangabad that made it worth a three day stop. However after it mentioning all of this, I am surprised how few foriegn tourists actually visit this part of India. Other than the foriegners I met while I was there, none I had encountered elsewhere in India intended upon touring Aurangabad or even had heard of it. I attribute part of this to fact that Aurangabad is not the easiest destination in India to reach. It involves a nine hour bus trip from Mumbai and there is no direct route by rail. I actually flew to Aurangabad but I had problems leaving. This is a shame for as I have said the cave complexes here are the most remarkable in all of India.

• Pros:Absolutely stunning sculpture and architecture
  • Cons:Hard to get to. No place to eat near Ellora
  • In a nutshell:The Must See Destination in India that Few People Actually Do See
  • Last visit to Aurangabad: Oct 1998
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2004

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Paul, some ten years on from your visit and around 6 from mine i think these caves are still under-visited /unknown by foreign tourists - but crowded by local visitors. The area is very worth of at least 3-4 days time. Great page.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
      Jun 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I spent three full days there. I agree that it is under visited to some degree however there were a few Western tourists there when I visited.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Hi- I couldnt agree more about the Ellora Caves- spent 10 days there-they are the best kept secret in India. There is now a rail link from Mumbai to Aurangabad. Great Page, and tips.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Although I've heard of the city of Aurangabad, I've never heard of the caves. They certainly are most impressive and would be worth a visit.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM

What absolutely incredible caves!!! Those carvings are stupendous....

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Great tips!

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 4:50 PM

Your page worth a second visit. I wish seeing India a second time were as easy! However, we now have direct flights out of Newark NJ (EWR) PS Always worthwhile to check Wikipedia for info on airports.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 3:08 PM

what an interesting location, Paul ! One day I hope to be able to explore India myself !

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 5:58 PM

happy birthday, paul!!!!! wish you all the best :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 1:08 PM

Never heard of this place, but it really does sound fascinating.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 4:39 PM

Great page - I have to visit this place soon.

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”

Badges & Stats in Aurangabad

Have you been to Aurangabad?

Latest Activity in Aurangabad