"The Famed "Erotic" Temples of Khajuraho" Khajuraho by Paul2001
Khajuraho Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 801 photos
The temple complexes of Khajuraho in Madya Pradesh, is one of the most noteworthy of all India's great Hindu monuments. The temples are particularly famous for the erotic sculpture that adorn the perimeters walls of the temples themselves. Many of the figures represented here are engaged in the about the most wild sexual positions and acts that you can think of. This is particularly the case with the famed Lakshmana Temple which is the first temple that you approach when you enter the complex.
Overall the temple complexes of Khajuraho are spread out in three seperate compounds in proximity to villiage itself. They are the Western Group, where the most famous temples are located, the Eastern Group and the Southern Group. These latter two groups are smaller and less distinguished but are worth visiting just the same.
The temples where the work of the Chandelas Rajputs who constructed the temples in the 10th and 11th centuries. There were at one time 85 temples scattered throughout the area. The reason that they chose Khajuraho for these elaborate temples in this otherwise out of the way setting is something of a mystery. For what the reason it is fortunate that they decided upon such a remote location in India or they quite probably would have been sacked by the Mughals who found such temples to be offensive.
Today Khajuraho is India's second most touristed destination. This is inspite of the fact that other than by plane, it is hard to reach. I arrived in Khajuraho from Orchha by minivan that I rented but flew out on one of the daily flights to Agra and Delhi.
- Pros:Amazing temples. Good tourist structure
- Cons:Can be crowded. Hard to get to.
- In a nutshell:One of India's Most Glorious Attractions
Jagadambi Temple is located just north of Kandariya Mahadeva and stands on the same platform. It is not as large as... more travel advice
I do not usually intend upon staying in luxury chain class hotels while I am traveling but I was doing such a good job... more travel advice
Paul2001's Related Pages
Khajuraho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Khajuraho"
- "Temples of Khajuraho"
- "Eternal Expressions of Love Khajuraho"
- "Amazing Temples"
- "Journal: Donna & Sandy in Khajuraho"
- "The Famed "Erotic" Temples of Khajuraho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khajuraho
- Hotels in Khajuraho
- Transportation in Khajuraho
- Nightlife in Khajuraho
- Restaurants in Khajuraho
- Shopping in Khajuraho
- Warnings and Dangers in Khajuraho
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khajuraho
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Khajuraho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khajuraho
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 82 reviews, 137 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos
Latest Khajuraho hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Khajuraho
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- The Jass Oberoi
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2011
- Zen Hotel
- 219 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- The Lalit Temple View Khajuraho
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Chandela Hotel
- 212 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2013
- Hotel Usha Bundela
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Hotel Lakeside
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Surya
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013