"The Restless Guy" Paul2001's Profile
Lately I have not had much time for VT. This has largely been the result of caring for my mother who's heath has declined dramatically in the last six months. Hence I will be traveling less in the near future. Most of my travels I the upcoming months will be short but still interesting wanderings. These will likely be to the United States and Caribbean. Lately I have been able to get my mother's and my own affairs under control and I will now be able to focus more on VT and there will be new entries and commentaries.
Offically I began traveling about the globe while I was just a tot of two when my father, for reasons I care not to explain here, decided to hightail it from Toronto to Vancouver by car. I guess I got the travel bug early in life. In fact the earliest images that I can remember are of the Canadian prairie and the Rockies while on that fateful journey. My father enjoyed the trip so much that the next year he gathered my family together(and my brother was all of ten months old) and made the journey in the reverse direction across the Northern United States. By the time I was three years of age, I traveled to five Canadian provinces and seven American states. I have traveled almost annually ever since. Thanks to Virtual Tourist, I have a place to tell about it.
Just a few words about my pages. For the most part the photographs you see in my pages are my own. This is unfortunate in some places. For instance my photos of Australia, England and some of France where taken with a cheap little Black's Camera that I am now ashamed to say that I used. In other locations I had problems with the weather, especially so in the case of Poland where I experienced a great deal of rain. Naturally this affects the lighting.
I would like to also point out that I do not write about places that I have not visited in my travels. Doing so sort of goes against the concept of Virtual Tourist which I think should be a forum about travelers own experiences rather than a simple travel guide. The exception is with regards to restaurants and accommodations. On occasion I may recommend a place to stay or eat based on word of mouth from other travelers rather than travel guides. This is particularly the case in regards to Toronto where naturally I do not stay in hotels because I live here.
Lots of people like to post top ten list on VT on topics that interest them, so why not me too?
Anyway during my travels I have been attempting to visit all of the world's most important collections of Western Art. I am not pretentious enough to think that I am an art expert but I do know what I like. I think that I have decent taste and fairly good knowledge. I believe that I have succeeded in hitting most of the key art museums but there are still few that I have yet to visit. Out the galleries that I have seen so far here are, not necessarily in order, my top ten favourite art galleries in the world.
1) The Louvre, Paris, France
2) The National Gallery of Art, London, U.K.
3) The Prado, Madrid, Spain
4) The Metopolitian Museum of Art, New York, New York
5) The Uffizi, Florence, Italy
6) The National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
7) Kunsthistorsches Museum, Vienna, Austria
8) The Musee d'Orsay, Paris, France
9) The Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York
10) Alte Pinatothek, Munich, Germany
I have yet to visit the Hermitage in St. Petersberg or the Gemaldegalerie in Berlin. But one day...
I have always been fascinated by castles. While traveling I have gone clear out of my way to visit any castle that I might suspect to be very interesting. I have decided to provide a list for those who share my passion for castle so that I can assist you in your own search for the perfect castle.
Of note, this is a list of castles rather than a list of palaces. For what it's worth, for me the difference between a castle and a palace is that a castle must be defendable against intruders in military terms. Poland's Malbork Castle is a good example. A palace is strickly home of a wealthy lord or monarch such as Versailles.
Here is my list, not necessarily in order, of my ten favourite castles in the world:
1) The Tower of London, London
2) The Castle of St. Peters, Bodrum, Turkey
3) The Burg Eltz, Moselle Valley, Germany
4) Malbork Castle, Poland
5) Burg Hohenwerfen, near Salzburg, Austria
6) Hohensalzburg, Salzburg
7) Gwalior Fort, Gwalior, India
8) Himeji Castle, Himeji, Japan
9) Wawel Castle, Krakow
10) Meherangarh Fort, Jodhpur, India
I majored in history while at university hence I have always been engrossed by archeology and the ancient world. I have read extensively about Ancient Greece, Egypt and Rome and visiting the ruins of these magnificent cultures has always been a major theme in my travels. I have had the opportunity to visit most of the important archeological, ancient world sites in Europe and many more in the Middle East and Asia.
While visiting Morocco's Volubilis, I spent some with an American couple who had never seen an archeological site before and absolutely loved the place. I started listing other such sites that they should visit on their tour of the Middle East. Thinking back to that moment I thought that it would be nice to provide the VT world with a list of my ten favourite archeological, ancient world sites. Here is some sort of order of importance and splendor are my ten favourites:
1) The Pyramids and Sphinx of Giza, Cairo, Egypt
2) The Ajanta and Ellora Caves, India
3) Petra, Jordan
4) The Colosseum, Rome, Italy
5) The Acropolis, Athens, Greece
6) The Temple of Karnak, Luxor, Egypt
7) The Roman ForumRome, Italy
8) Ephesus outside of Selcuk, Turkey
9) Tikal, Guatemala
10) Machu Picchu, Peru
I love cities though I respect the fact that big cities are not for everyone. Personally I have to try real hard to leave cities like New York or New Delhi. I cannot get enough of them. Anyway I have been reluctant to list my top ten favourite cities because the list keeps changing according to my mood. As of now here are my top ten favourite cities that I have visited:
1) New York City
5) Rio De Janeiro
I may change this next week. Let's see what kind of mood I am in.
Since I have been traveling across the Globe, I have always sought out certain themes, they basically being visiting sites of historical, cultural and environmental significance. The best way getting some sort of guideline on what places are worth exploring as been for me is to try to hit as many World Heritage sites that interest me as I can in each country that I visit. There are presently 754 sites on the World Heritage List. I have visited at least 121 of them so far. If you like to check out the UNESCO World Heritage List then try this link, World Heritage List.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Manila Hotels
- Miami Beach Hotels
- Hong Kong Hotels
- Blue Mountain Beach Hotels
- Crescent Beach Hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Mughal Sarai Hotels
- Galveston Hotels
- Bali Hotels
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- Mumbai Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Wildwood Hotels
- La Spezia
- Laoag City
- Cheras Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,747 Reviews
- 2,975 Photos
- 32 Countries
- 45 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
- Wrote a Review My First Jazz Club visit in New Orleans about Maison Bourbon Jazz Club in New Orleans Nightlife
- Commented on one of Paul2001's New Orleans tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yes Bourbn Street is a tourist trap"
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "Unique New Orleans"
- Paul2001 and Mstiffany31 are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "The Restless Guy"
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guatemala Safety"
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 88 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 82 reviews, 139 photos
- Germany Intro, 70 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 55 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos
- Egypt Intro, 50 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 49 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poland Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 36 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos