"Gard's Kilimanjaro adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park by Gard

Kilimanjaro National Park Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 320 photos

In September 2003 I had the pleasure of going to Tanzania to hike on the highest mountain in Africa: Kilimanjaro. We used Marangu hotel as our tour guide and we went for the Machame route. On these pages you will find information about my experience when it comes to high altitude trekking. I hope that this can be of help to others who are planning to hike on the highest free standing mountain in the world. And did I make it to Uhuru Peak at 5895 meters? I guess you'll have to read to find out :-)

• Pros:Great views, satisfying to achive a goal like this
  • Cons:Altitude sickness, expensive, a bit harder than expected
  • In a nutshell:Amazing views, lots of fresh air and the chance of getting to the highest point in Africa
  • Last visit to Kilimanjaro National Park: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Feb 7, 2004

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM

very helpful tips and an excellent description of the trek. we're hoping to do the same route next year.

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Great detailed tips, thanks for sharing. Might do Kili next year with some friends.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Outstanding info - especially on your external Kili pages which I have been through. Kili is on my travel wish list & plan to do it one day. Thanks for sharing. Guy

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 1:09 AM

Hello Gard. Superb tips & gorgeous photos, I really enjoyed your insights on this magical climb! Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Gard, thank you so much for posting your diary here. We lived the experience thru your writings. I read it over and over and still get knots in my stomach. Excitement? Fear? Not sure, but we shall soon see. Wonderful description of this amazing journey.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 4:54 AM

An unforgettable trip, to be sure. I'm going to leave the climbing to all of you. Thanks for the tour and wonderful photos.

• JulesH's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Hi Gard, excellent pointers which I'll bear in mind. Only two weeks to go until my trip...can't wait :) Thanks Jules

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 11:59 PM

Hey, Great, I enjoyed your great-to-read diary!! A very complete set of tips as well. It seems that you were equipped & prepared even for climbing Everest ;-)... !

• jackfruit's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2004 at 4:18 PM

Hey Gard - You've finally started on your Kili page - Hey, thanks for all the help before my climb! I did it and it felt great to stand atop Uhuru!!! Cheers - Sunita

Badges & Stats in Kilimanjaro National Park

Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?

Friends