"Wiltz in Summer and Wiltz revisited" Wiltz by irisbe

Wiltz Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 74 photos

Wiltz

As it is difficult for my friend Ehi to travel, we made the plan of putting up a little meeting in Luxembourg in August 2002. We were with 6 in total. Diamonddog and me went to pick up Ehi in Wiltz and went to Luxembourg to meet up with VT friends, more info you will find on the Luxembourg page and on the official VT meetings page of Luxembourg.

It was a very nice trip and I hope I can do it again.

... and I did!

Life can be full of surprises!
One day Evelyn Coleman, an American writer (and VT member since late) wrote me an e-mail that she was traveling on her own and feeling pretty lonely. We met up in Bruges (see the Bruges page) and from there on we became friends.
I invited her to visit Antwerp (see the Antwerp page) and we decided we would be traveling to Luxembourg.
She still had quite some eurorail travel trips left on her card and wanted to use them up before she had to return to Atlanta.
A trip to Luxembourg would be a nice start!
Not wanting to travel 2nd class (as she had a 1st class trainpass) she offered me to add the extra cost of upgrading for my trip. It was so nice and soon we had the compartment of the train almost all for us :-)
I admitt that I wondered if I could fill in 4 hours travel with a stranger I only saw a few hours before but that didn't seemed to be any problem!
We were really having fun in that train and the time passed by without noticing! It was quite a complicated trip. Starting from Antwerp we had to change several times and the last time we changed was in a very tiny station at 12 minutes drive from Wiltz. It was dark already... and only a few people were around. Evelyn told me that in no way any one in America would get any one out of a train on a place like this, unless they kicked them out. She told me it would be too dangerous.
But here... :-)
no! ofcourse not.
A father traveling with his 11 year old daughter asked us if we knew the little hotel Auberge Michel Rodange. Of course! We were heading the same direction, in fact we booked our rooms at the same inn!

A start of a nice weekend

hey I think this is in fact a sort of minimeeting! 3 continents, 3 VT members! :-)
Ehi was waiting for us at the Wiltz station. It was nice meeting up again. Bringing Evelyn here was one of my best idea's of this year hahaha. When all the lot of us entered the Inn, the father and girl started a conversation with us and when the girl, who was quite a fanatic reader heard Evelyn was a writer of kid's books and the dad knew about on of her books being filmed she stoot there in a big WOWWWWW-pinch-me-to-check-if-I-am-not-dreaming-pose :-)
She was so cute! And all the writers she knew and that Ev. just came to meet up in London! I have them both on a picture and it is soon on its way to Atlanta to get autographed :-) and then sent back to UK where the girl is living.
And then we asked her to take a picture of the three of us and look how good photographer she was!
I think she did a splendid job!

• Last visit to Wiltz: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2002

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2007 at 2:27 PM

I can just imagine how tranquil Wiltz is. Enjoy your Open Monumentendag weekend!

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2003 at 10:16 PM

A sweet page, good photos, sad start though about Ehi not being able to travel.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2003 at 2:09 PM

What a pleasure to read the story! Nice pics in the travelogues

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 6:34 AM

Sounds like it was a fun Minimeeting.... wow the street did look empty, did you see the man rolling up the sidewalk? haha Nice page and info again.

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2003 at 5:19 AM

Well done! Good story and wonderful pics in the travelogue.

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2003 at 3:07 AM

Nice photos.
    But considering there is no border guards anymore, surely your friend can travel to Anvers?

• gemjag's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2002 at 6:04 AM

These meetings still amaze me Thank you for sharing

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2002 at 3:02 AM

lovely story, Dan and it really must have been great!! call me next time to join you!!!!!! bes-elisabeth

• drolkar's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2002 at 2:10 PM

Lovely views in your travelogue...:)...!

irisbe

“Always be open to new experiences”

Badges & Stats in Wiltz