"Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera" Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp by irisbe
Antwerp Travel Guide: 2,892 reviews and 7,155 photos
Antwerp is waiting for your!!!
Antwerp is one of those cities that comes as a pleasant surprise to you.
Not yet fully known abroad and dwelling in the shadow of the more commercialised locations such as Brussels and Bruges, it is hardly mentioned in the travelbooks.
Visitors will afterwards often wonder why?
In 2003 Newsweek added it in the top 5 of most developing, vibrant and vivid cultural cities in the world.
Don't miss the good things in Antwerp and ask one of the locals to help you out. They are likely to do so.
2010, 7 years later and Antwerp is going under transformation. Many great things happened to her and many are happening.
Our Central Station is enlarged, restaurated and renewed and nominated in the top 5 of world's most beautiful stations.
Our old city festival hall, who got hit by a fire in 2002 has got a totally new transformation. It is now a eye catching shopping mall and the project has received the most presticious Award for Excellence 2008 for Europe. With this award we automatically were nominated for the 2009 world award but we had to let pass other bigger projects as there where the bird stadion in Beijing.
A new museum is going to be opened at the docks, it is called MAS (Museum at the river) and it will house three other musea who have moved: martime museum (used to be in Het Steen); the ethnological museum and the folklore/city museum. On top of that it will also hold the Pre-columbian collection of Dora Janssens, the spouse of famous late Dr. Paul Janssens.
I have already been to the top of this building and it gives you a wonderful view. Gossips go that the place is already too small for all these collections.
Another big story that is happening now is the re-opening of the Eugeen Van Mieghem Museum in the Rade House. Here you will find drawings, paintings, sketches of the hard life around the harbour in late 19th and early 20th century. As no other he left us a testmony of the big emmigration wave from Europe to USA.
If you happen to be in Philadelphia, be on the outlook for his work over there! More details in a tip.
Connected to his art, to the harbour and the emmigrants will be the only original buildings left of the RED STAR line. They will be turned into a museum with close ties to Ellis Island.
Many plans are still to be worked out for the near and further future. Antwerp has grown up!
However you arrive, on feet, bicycle, moto, car, train, plain or boat, be welcome!!!
Meetings in Antwerp:
There has been quite some meetings in Antwerp!
Pictures of these meetings are in my travelogue down this page, each with a reference link to a photo website for the complete collection on Fokti. Feel free to visit!
If you like them you u can download them but pls use them only for your own purpose. If you want to use any of my pictures for publications for what so ever, ask me first.
I hope you enjoy^
"I live near Antwerp and I lately rediscovered it's beauty. I have been going through a lot of Antwerp sites in VT already and I wonder what there is more to tell about this beautiful place then it has already been done so well by a lot of VT members.
I just wanted to take you through a visual trip.
Not only the centre of Antwerp, but also it's surroundings."
These words were the first ones I wrote on VT.
Half a year later, rereading them... they seem to witness a kind of misplaced modest attitude of me!
But nothing like that is true!
You see... the more I started to write about Antwerp and the more I made little trips to the city, took pictures... the more I discovered!
This page with all its travelogues has grown so huge that maybe some of the visitors might get scared off by its hugeness and move on.
I would suggest that at least look at a few tips and a few travelogues a time, and come back on another occasion.
Remember... this page has been build over 9 months... I am not expecting of any one who visit it to read it all at once. Just take your time and stroll along at your prefereble schedule!
At the present moment I am reorganizing my Antwerp page to make it more accessable.
The page has grown so much and tips had been added at random.
Now I will try to group them within each category along the topic.
Simultaneously I will try to add the so long time promised additional information.
So pls bear with me :-)
16th November 2003
!!!TIPS OF THE WEEK!!!TIPS OF THE WEEK!!!
City guides are organising Summer evening walks. Till 15th of September you will find them waiting to show you the most loveliest and charming or interesting spots of Antwerp.
Practical info ator at the tourist office.
Antwerp, where you can meet the rest of the world!
- Pros:very cultural and vivid city
- Cons:sometimes the city looks dirty, despite the hard work of cleaners, but just think who is throwing all that dirt on the street and drop yours in a trashcan next ;-) thanks!
- In a nutshell:You need a couple of days if you really want to explore it, or ask friends to take you around. Make a choice of your interests before you start because there is plenty and be open to new things !
Antwerp as a metropolitan harbour city, has a multi cultural population. Actually the amount of allochtones is growing... more travel advice
When you pass through the library you will be astonished of the many nicely ordered leather cover books on the... more travel advice
- See All When in group, hire the nice seperate...
- See All My first chocolate orgasm
- See All My guests had their eyes popped out `-)
- See All Graffiti in the city
- See All tram/bus
irisbe's Related Pages
Antwerp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drink the Elixir!"
- "Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera"
- "The biggest city of Flanders"
- "Pampered in Antwerp and a Bangelijke meeting :)"
- "'t Stad: My Antwerp"
- "More impressions of Antwerp"
- "VT meetings and pubcrawls in Antwerp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antwerp
- Hotels in Antwerp
- Transportation in Antwerp
- Nightlife in Antwerp
- Restaurants in Antwerp
- Shopping in Antwerp
- Warnings and Dangers in Antwerp
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Antwerp
- 194 Reviews
- 866 Photos
- 368 Forum posts
- 299 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Antwerp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antwerp
Photos in AntwerpSee All Photos (866)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Antwerp hotel reviews
- Internationaal Zeemanshuis
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel Antwerp
- 289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Best Western Classic Hotel Villa Mozart
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Het Luxepaard
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Scandic Antwerp Borgerhout
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Agora Antwerp
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel 't Sandt
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hotel Residence
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Billard Palace
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Antwerp
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Backpackers Hostel de Heksenketel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Postiljon
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Guesthouse 26
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 9, 2010
- Arass Suite Hotel
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013