Brussels Shopping Tips by irisbe Top 5 Page for this destination
Brussels Shopping: 254 reviews and 301 photos
Not so far from the Grote Markt and on the route towards Manneke Pis, you will walk pass the shop with many different cookes.
The name of the shop is Dandoy and you just have to go inside to see how many different cookies they have!
If it is open and there is not too much people inside, I usually hop in and by myself those tiny almond speculoos cookies.
They are so yummie tasteful!
What to buy: All kinds of cookes! so many choices.
Address: Boterstraat 31 Rue au Beurre - 1000 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 . 511.03.26
Theme: Food and Drink
Thai supermaket in Brussels
Between the Rue de la Vierge noire and the Anspachlaan you have a small street called Rue St Catherine. This street is the Chinatown of Brussels I think.
You may not only find Chinese shops and restaurants here, there is also space for other Asian shops. The Thai Supermarket is here at number 7.
What to buy: You can buy anything that you expect to find in a supermarket; from food to household stuff.
What to pay: These kind of supermarkets are usually low priced
Address: 7 Rue St. Catherine, 1000 Brussels
Directions: Between Zwarte Lievevrouwstraat and Boulevard Anspach
Other Contact: fax.: +32/(0)2-. 502.74.24
exotic shopping in Brussels
If you walk the off the beaten path tour and you dare to leave the city centre behind you, you might find more exotic places in Brussels then you expected to.
When during Summertime Norali took me to Bruxelles-les-bains festival, we had to walk from the Fishmarket, over the Place Saint Catherine to the Quais of the canal.
Here we spotted many foreign storage houses and shops.
We stopped to buy some fruit for lunch.
The koreander and minth smell were so seducive and the big baskets with olives just were begging "take us with you" but we could not carry such big amount.
On this picture you can see a man watering his koreander so it would keep fresh despite the warm Summer temperature.
Theme: Food and Drink
Chinese pharmacist in Brussels
At the Rue St Catherine there is a new “shop” opened from 2004 on.
Well I don’t know if you can say it is a shop?
It is a pharmacist but you also can go there to have massage, or anything else that has something to do with Asian medical treatments.
It had a painted sign on the front reading:
“Colloque medical chinoise de la Belgique”
“Universite medicale chinoise de la Belgique”
“Centre Wu-Shu chinoise de la Belgique”
The windows were covered with articles (in Chinese) and anatomical drawings and sketches of body and body parts (feet).
As my Chinese is at level Zero I could not find out what there was written.
So I think I maybe should classify this shop as “healthy shop”?
What to buy: Health related things, spices, treathment, education, alternative medical care.
Address: Rue St Catherine
Directions: Between Place Sainte Catherine and Anspachlaan
Chocolat store at "Sinterklaas" time :)
When chocolate starts to get shapes of little figures.
Eastern and Saint Nicolas are those moments when you can buy chocolate in all kinds of shapes and figures. The windows of the shops are packed and decorated. The decoration can even be made out of chocolate!
They all whisper from behind the glass “Come inside and buy me. Eat me!”.
Ah sometimes they are so beautiful it is hard to put your teeth in it!
On this picture it is the occasion of Saint Nicolas, a Saint that is told to like kids and bring them presents.
What to buy: Chocolates of course!
Metro station vendor
Maybe a weird place to find a “shop” but in the loooooooong hall of the metro at central station this vendor is selling his stuff every day. Well at least each time I passed there.
It sure brings more “life” into the gray/yellowish long tunnel.
I often wonder if he does sell anything? It seems like people mostly just walk by.
Nevertheless it is colourful and nice to have him here!
What to buy: I think you only can buy the exposed cloths, I think you can use them as decoration or plaid? maybe as curtain or sjawl?
What to pay: I go check next time `-)
Address: Metro hall Central Station
Directions: Follow the sign from within the Central Station building towards the metro.
Market at Place Jourdan
Near Parc Leopold/Leopold Park you have Place Jourdan.
In the morning of the 30th November 2003 we passed it on our way to the Parc du Cinquantenaire not far away from here.
Of course we could not resists the scents of the olives, the cheese, and the food mmmmmmmmmmm!
So if you are hungry you still can get yourself an appetizer here, or just shop for food to take with you at home.
What to buy: I should buy food.
What to pay: Markets are usual places where you can buy at cheap prices
Address: Place Jourdan/Jourdanplein
Directions: Near Parc Leopold
Theme: Food and Drink
TinTin - Kuifke
This shop in the Spoormakersstraat has anything to offer that is related to the albums of Tin Tin.
If you don't want to buy anything, then still window shopping can be amusing :)
What to buy: All items related to the albums of Tin Tin
Address: Spoormakersstraat / rue des Eperonniers Brussel
Directions: At 5 minutes from Grote Markt
Antique shop at the Rue Haute Brussels
The Hoogstraat (Rue Haute) in the Marollen area (downtown) is a small but very popular street where you can find shops of different kinds of interests, going from antiques to small house hold equipment to grocery...
This is the real Brussels!
more comments later
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (141)
- See All Don't get ripped off by Chinese mafiosa
- See All Trainstations
- See All Delirium Tremens, is 2004 enough to...
- See All A lust for the eye De Ultieme...
- See All Brasserie-Restaurant stilling your...
- See All Near the canal: Brewery Belle Vue
- See All Music at Bruxelles les bains
- See All About immigrants and a small castle
- See All In a nice area with seafood restaurants
- See All If you travel by car
- See All Rue du boucher/Beenhouwersstraat
Been to Brussels?Share your travels with the world!
irisbe's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 151 Reviews
- 409 Photos
- 439 Forum posts
- 131 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Sad news..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "A German in Brussels `)"
- Wrote a Review Don't get ripped off by Chinese mafiosa in Brussels Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of traveloturc's Brussels travel pages
- updated a Brussels Travelogue "Visits and meetings in Brussels"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manneken Pis- 165 Reviews, 215 Photos
- Atomium- 119 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Grand Place - Grote Markt- 165 Reviews, 284 Photos
- Cathédrale St Michel & Gudule- 81 Reviews, 185 Photos
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert- 37 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Maison Horta & Art Nouveau- 28 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Mini Europe- 45 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Palais Royal- 63 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Musical Instrument Museum - Musée des Instruments de Musique- 36 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Chinese & Japanese Towers- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Brussels Things to Do