Brussels Warnings Or Dangers Tips by irisbe Top 5 Page for this destination
Brussels Warnings and Dangers: 146 reviews and 74 photos
Don't drink the water `-) Drink beer instead!
Long, long time ago, and I am speaking from Middle Ages and after, water was very dangerous to drink. Unless you lived right next to the well, or you boiled it, it was ok.
When monks from the South came to settle here, they wanted to import the winemaking as they did so in their monasteries. The wine was a good alternative for water and safe to drink.
However, grapes were difficult to cultivate here so far North and the harvest not sufficient enough to provide them the wine necessary.
By special permission of the Church, they were allowed to brew beer instead of wine.
Yeast, one of the most important elements of the beer, was to each monastery a treasure to be kept secret. But I guess espionage and stealing are of all ages, so it happened that someone took a part of the (living) yeast and took it with him to another monastery. Slowly also others then monks were brewing beer and you could find a lot of microbreweries all around.
I think in Bruges there were over 300 of them some centuries ago!).
If you see the water on the picture (taken at Brussels), then you see it is “not drinkable water” as the sign says! So… you will have to taste one of our beers instead!
I would recomend you to visit my Belgium page and have a look at the "tourist trap" tips if you want to make some choices.
It will be time I update that chapter because I have tried out many more beers since!
In and around the big market of Brussels, new chocolate shops are popping up like mushrooms in a moisty forrest.
Don't be suprised to find chinese behind the desk claiming to sell you "real Belgian"chocolat.
IT IS FAKE!!!! AND NOT BELGIAN CHOCOLAT!
It is chocolate of low quality with no cacao in it but just fat and cream and I am informed by insiders most of it is fabricated by a Dutch company who recently moved their commercial seat into Belgium so they are able to sell their crap as Belgian chocolate.
DON'T GET FOOLED!!!
You might be seduced to enter the shop as you are clamped on at the street and be invited to enter the shop (BELGIAN SHOPKEEPERS NEVER DO AS SUCH!!!) and they preferable focus on Chinese and other Asian tourists as they are more keen to folow and believe there "fellow Asian".
They are ripped off!
They will pay less then in any other shop but they are not buying chocolat but fantasy low quality rubbish!
This rubbish is brought by those tourists into their countries as Belgian chocolat and it is ruining our reputation!
Please pass on this news to any one you know who wants to visit Belgium, especially Brussels in this case and WARN THEM against the fraudulous practices!
Ask for fellow VT-ers what are the right brands and be willing to pay at least around 30 Euro a kilo and not a 14 Euro or something like that as you just can't have handmade chocolat for that price...
Calling vginginbabe on her lost mobile phone
In 2004 we organised a VT meeting in Brussels for the arrival of vginginbabe.
She had emailed her phone number and I tried to call her several times. It was always her answering machine.
Later on we managed to meet up and we heard her story on how on her first moments of arrival in Brussels she got ripped of by a taxidriver.
Accordingly to her explication she must have paid almost tripple the normal price and on top of it, through the consternation and her refusal to pay the first demanded amount of fee, she even forgot her mobile phone in the cab.
There are a few rules to watch when taking a cab:
1. Is it an official cab? in doubt write down the number plate or the number and company of the cab.
2. Check if there is a meter in the cab or negociate about the price first (but only do so if you know what approx you normally need to pay). Cabs always start with a start amount, independent of the distance you will drive.
3. If you know someone in the city you are at, you might want that person call their regular cab to pick you up or you can drive to that person and let him/her check if the amount could be correct.
Bruxelles Midi/Brussel Zuid/Brussels South station
A place I would not easily wander around at night is the area around the South station.
At daytime you only have the stunning smell or should I say stench? of the pee of many men who consider the walls and every corner as a public toilet, but at night it also looks dangerous.
If you need to go to Brussels centrum and you arrive late, you better take the train to Central station or the metro, if you have too much luggage, just take a taxi but don't let them rip you off! That happens.
Typical Belgium? traffic signs galore!
This is a crossroad/round point North/North-West of Place de Ste Catherine.
I took this picture from the corner at the end of Quai aux Barbes/Shutetankaai and th Arduinkaai/Quai aux pierres de taille.
Have you counted the traffic signs? If you only count the ones you see the fronts of and that warns you it is a one-way direction, you must come to 8!
But as you can see if you click on the picture to have the full view… there are plenty more traffic signs!
I think it was a sale-out when they bought them!
special doors against too curious people
Another thing about the Flemish Parliament is the fact that all the conference rooms are provided with special double doors so no one can put his/her ear against the door and listen over any secret decisions or deals made.
view right through the floor/ceiling!
When I was visiting the Flemish Parliament building and I was walking at the 2nd level underneath the glazier ceiling, I suddenly looked down and I saw I was walking on glas!
I could see right through the floor into the lower level... so... conclusion:
If I can see what is underneath me... then sure those at the 1st level can see what is on top of them... namely me in short skirts! waaahaaa...
I pointed it out to the guide
I said "Help!:" but she said... just walk those tiles that are made blurred (like the part in the left bottom corner) and you will be safe and the ppl down there won't spoil their coffee over their suites when you pass `-)
More Reviews (144)
- See All Trainstations
- See All Pain grècque, speculoos... yummmmiieee!
- See All Delirium Tremens, is 2004 enough to...
- See All A lust for the eye De Ultieme...
- See All Brasserie-Restaurant stilling your...
- See All Near the canal: Brewery Belle Vue
- See All Music at Bruxelles les bains
- See All About immigrants and a small castle
- See All In a nice area with seafood restaurants
- See All If you travel by car
- See All Rue du boucher/Beenhouwersstraat
Been to Brussels?Share your travels with the world!
irisbe's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mo i Rana
- Winslow Hotels
- Negeri Johor
- Regensburg Hotels
- Siena Hotels
- Lake Weir Hotels
- Krabi Warnings and Dangers
- Antalya Warnings and Dangers
- Berlin Warnings and Dangers
- Granada Warnings and Dangers
- Crete Island Warnings and Dangers
- Bodrum Warnings and Dangers
- Isle of Skye Warnings and Dangers
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Warnings and Dangers
- Sosúa Warnings and Dangers
- Coventry Warnings and Dangers
- Skopje Warnings and Dangers
- Oudtshoorn Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 151 Reviews
- 409 Photos
- 438 Forum posts
- 139 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Travel Antwerp Forum "Re: i need some help"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A German in Brussels `)"
- Wrote a Review Don't get ripped off by Chinese mafiosa in Brussels Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of traveloturc's Brussels travel pages
- updated a Brussels Travelogue "Visits and meetings in Brussels"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Brussels hotel reviews
- Hotel Formule 1 - Brussel Zuid
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 9, 2009
- Hotel Siru
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Brussels Welcome Hotel
- 528 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Evergreen
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte-Catherine Hotel
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Steigenberger Grandhotel
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Novotel Brussels Grand Place
- 428 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Le Meridien Brussels
- 694 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Manhattan Hotel
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Hotel Saint Michel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- NH Atlanta Hotel
- 296 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Le Plaza Brussels
- 307 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hotel Manos Stephanie
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013
- Euroflat Hotel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Manneken Pis- 163 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Atomium- 111 Reviews, 173 Photos
- Grand Place - Grote Markt- 129 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Cathédrale St Michel & Gudule- 76 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert- 38 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Palais Royal- 61 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Eglise Notre Dame du Sablon- 37 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Chinese & Japanese Towers- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Mini Europe- 44 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Musical Instrument Museum- 29 Reviews, 64 Photos
See All Brussels Things to Do