Ieper Things to Do Tips by irisbe
Ieper Things to Do: 337 reviews and 726 photos
In Flanders Fields, war museum Ieper
You can't miss a visit to the War Museum!
It is right up there in the centre, housed in the Laken Hallen.
I don't add an entrance fee as it can change over the years and accordingly to offered reductions.
However I can tell you that this ticket is a combined ticket with two other local musea.
The problem is you might not get the time to visit. Not if you want to cycle around as Sarah and John (macdoggie) did on their visit.
You can have a b-day trip ticket "train/entrance" at the trainstation should you come by train.
I was pleased that since my previous visit 2 years ago, a lot new things were added in the museum.
Address: Lakenhalle, Grote Markt 34, B-8900 Ieper
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ypres Salient. The Meense Poort, Menin Gate, only a few minutes walk from the market square, is the memorial statue, built on the site of the old gate which served as the main route for British soldiers heading for the front. It's wall is covered with names of 50000 British and Commonwealth soldiers who died in Ypres Salient, but never had a grave, who where missing or burried "Only known to God". Here since 1929, every evening at 8 pm, the Last Post is sounded.
When you are there, you can go upon the stairs and walk around, even on the outside the walls are covered with names. It is impressive!
Address: city walls, gate leading towards Menin
Directions: This is a panoramic picture, click on picture to have a complete view.
More Reviews (4)
irisbe's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 6 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
Photos in IeperSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (287)
- Menin Gate- 52 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Flanders Field Museum- 24 Reviews, 42 Photos
- St Martins Cathedral & Monastery- 24 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Tyne Cot Cemetery- 15 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Ramparts & Casemates- 23 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Cloth Hall - Lakenhalle- 31 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Military Cemeteries/Memorials- 24 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Fishmarket - Oude Vismarkt- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Hill 62- 7 Reviews, 22 Photos
- St Georges Church- 14 Reviews, 39 Photos
See All Ieper Things to Do