"Laken or Laeken (Dutch or the French spelling)" Laeken by irisbe
Laeken Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 111 photos
The story goes that during the 11th century, Laken became famous after the virgin Maria has apppeared there. It became a favorite place for pelgrimages.
Since the 19th century it became the residential place of the royal family.
Here was built the official residency Belvédère of the King in the midst of a royal garden.
In the middle of the park a memorial tower was build in remembrance of King Leopold I. The style is neogotic.
King Leopold II, a melomane King, wanted to turn this domain into a small "architectonic trip around the world".
He only succeeded in the erection of the Japanese tower and the Chinese pavilion.
The royal palace was renovated in 1890. Architect Poelaert (see my Brussels page about the Palace of Justice) has designed a new front that was built against the original 18th century one.
Since a couple of years you can also visit the Royal stables.
At every coach is a short description of who has been sitting in which one.
Unfortunately I didn't had anything to write with me so I will keep that info to add next year `-)
From the 16th April till 4th of May the Royal greenhouses are opened to the public.
Entrance fee is only 2 Euro, kids under 18 don't have to pay.
There is a special day for disabled persons to visit.
On some of the days the gardens are opened during the evening.
I hope next time, after two day visits, 4th of May 2002 and 17th of April 2003, next year I can go visit it when it is lightened.
More info about the green house in my tips.
More info about the royal family at :http://www.monarchie.be/
More info about the greenhouses :
Although the text is in Duch/French and German, you still can enjoy clicking on the images and they will give you a 360 degree view! Just do it!
- Pros:magnificient and a place to visit if you are around
- Cons:only temporary opened: 16th of April till 4th of May
- In a nutshell:if you are around, take that bus and visit! you will not regret!
Whether you parked your car or you came by bus, don't just cross the street but wait for the local police to help you... more travel advice
It is yellow, it has 4 wheels and it is waiting for you at the parking space :-) It is called the icecream... more travel advice
irisbe's Related Pages
Laeken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laken or Laeken (Dutch or the French spelling)"
- "Coming soon!!!!!!!!"
- "Royal Laken !"
- "Long as I got your love"
- "Ok, this is where I live."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laeken
- Transportation in Laeken
- Shopping in Laeken
- Warnings and Dangers in Laeken
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laeken
- 66 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Laeken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laeken
Photos in LaekenSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue