"Lillo, the last bastion of the Dutch in Belgium" Lillo by irisbe
Lillo Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 38 photos
At the border of the river Schelde, North to the city of Antwerp,
Despite the fact Belgium became independent in 1830 we still had two places where we had immense problems of getting our previous occupiers, the Dutch, out of here.
One was at the Southern fort, and there we had help of the French bombing them out with huge canon balls `-)
but then there remained this indefeatable fort at Lillo in the North.
By keeping this fort, the Dutch prevented free entrance over the river Schelde an thus blocking off the Antwerp harbour.
This meant a tremendous economic loss, not only for the city but for the whole of Belgium!
It was until a special treaty in 1839 that the Dutch left, in exchange for some parts of Belgian territories in Zeeuws Vlaanderen and the Limburg.
Recently they started to keep sheep here again. On the picture you can see them gathering together high and dry to catch... more travel advice
Lillo has also its marina. But when the tide is low (there is quite a tide on this river!) then the boats will be left... more travel advice
irisbe's Related Pages
Lillo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lillo
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lillo
Photos in LilloSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue