"Dukes and Kings loved it, so why won't you?" Tervuren by irisbe
Tervuren Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 91 photos
I had the luck I could organise a day trip that combined a visit to the Warande at Tervuren and a visit to Overijse nearby.
The name of Tervuren derives from the name of a little river called Voer. It is an adjunct river of the Dijle. Ter-Vure means literary “at-the-Voer”.
Excavations revealed that already in pre-history this area was populated. The early habitants settled on the highest points where the river the Voer and the Maalbeek, another small river were merging into another. The Maalbeek got filled up with river mud and does not exist anymore.
Tervuren was a poor village and there was absolutely no wealth, yet many Dukes and royalties favoured this location as a main, temporary or 2nd “home”.
I didn’t knew the rich history of this little village near Brussels until I joined this guided tour and I learned a lot. Maybe too much to remember everything that is said, but enough to be able to look at this place with different eyes then I ever had before.
I only explored a small part of it, and I have missed to visit the village itself. But I know I will be back for more
Fishing is one of the most done sports in Belgium. Here in Tervuren it is not different. Although there are a few... more travel advice
There was medical care, something Belgians lacked that time, and they were well fed. But you cannot avoid that none of... more travel advice
- See All Statues in the Warande Park
- See All Publc transportation
- A pub and a place to eat, to meet, to...
irisbe's Related Pages
Tervuren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dukes and Kings loved it, so why won't you?"
- "They call it the Versailles of Brussels"
- "Tervuren - A nice tram ride and a unique museum"
- "My home for a few years"
- "With the Girls in Tervuren"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tervuren
- Transportation in Tervuren
- Restaurants in Tervuren
- Warnings and Dangers in Tervuren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tervuren
- 32 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tervuren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tervuren
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 194 reviews, 832 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 151 reviews, 408 photos, 11 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 72 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 75 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Laeken Intro, 66 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 76 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mortsel Intro, 34 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 18 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue