"Dukes and Kings loved it, so why won't you?" Tervuren by irisbe

Tervuren Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 91 photos

Landmark of Tervuren: The Africa Museum

I had the luck I could organise a day trip that combined a visit to the Warande at Tervuren and a visit to Overijse nearby.

The name of Tervuren derives from the name of a little river called Voer. It is an adjunct river of the Dijle. Ter-Vure means literary “at-the-Voer”.

Excavations revealed that already in pre-history this area was populated. The early habitants settled on the highest points where the river the Voer and the Maalbeek, another small river were merging into another. The Maalbeek got filled up with river mud and does not exist anymore.

Tervuren was a poor village and there was absolutely no wealth, yet many Dukes and royalties favoured this location as a main, temporary or 2nd “home”.

I didn’t knew the rich history of this little village near Brussels until I joined this guided tour and I learned a lot. Maybe too much to remember everything that is said, but enough to be able to look at this place with different eyes then I ever had before.

I only explored a small part of it, and I have missed to visit the village itself. But I know I will be back for more

• Last visit to Tervuren: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2004

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 8:25 AM

Weatlh of information on this page, Dannie. Amazing pictures and wonderful historical detail.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 11:31 AM

Hoi Dannie, veel gehoord over het Royal Museum of Central Africa in Tervuren, maar er zelf nog nooit geweest. Very informative and interesting page !

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 2:42 AM

You did quite a lot in one day Danny. Am particularly impressed about effort that went into the construction of that museum of central Africa. Thanks for sharing.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 1:13 PM

All this in one day :-)) Congrats Dannie for this very informative page. You're right about the wine : too sweet !

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 5:38 AM

Heb jij dat allemaal onthouden? ;-) A very nice page with loads of information. I really love that museum even if it is a bit outdated. I know it since I was a kid. frank.

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2004 at 3:57 AM

Lovely choice of photos Danie, a spectacluar page you present as usual!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 5:48 AM

Very interesting page, especially the history tips. Good job

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 7:34 AM

You have tons of history for this wonderful place. Great job Dannie!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 3:09 AM

Excellent information. I didn'n know that Saint Hubertus celebration was born just there. Have a great weekend :-)

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 1:20 PM

Yes, this one! I just skipped it while reading.

irisbe

“Always be open to new experiences”

Badges & Stats in Tervuren

Have you been to Tervuren?

Latest Activity in Tervuren