Bergamo Restaurant Tips by irisbe

Bergamo Restaurants: 198 reviews and 488 photos

Titti at the Cooperativa - Bergamo

Titti at the Cooperativa

Cooperativa: Be a local for a moment

My last evening in Bergamo Titti joined me again.
After she showed me some places she knew I would have missed, and yes so I did, she wanted to take me to the lounge of the funicular which terrace offers a magnificent view over the funicular’s track. Unfortunately we picked the wrong day! It was closed!
No problem, Titti knew another nice local place where we could sit down for a chat, eat something, and enjoy our wine and each other’s company.

She took me into a side street of the Via b. Colleoni, near the church of the Sant’Agata.
“It is not really fancy or so” she warned me, but I was happy with her choice.
Here no tourists menu’s and I would think not even tourist, if I forgot a moment to count myself one.
Really local. “Here the locals used to come, play cards, have a drink” she explained.

Favorite Dish: We decided to take a mixed plate with ham (I love that ham!) and local cheese, a salad to accompany it and bread.
The local wine (good choice Titti!) completed the dinner.

I recomend this place to visit at least once for a lunch and a drink.

Address: Vicolo sant' Agata, Città Alta

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Side street of Via B. Colleoni

Phone: 035218568

Price: US$11-20

Rating: 4

• Written Jun 9, 2005
Polenta Polenta at Vino Buono - Bergamo

Polenta Polenta at Vino Buono

Antica Hosteria Del Vino Buono: Polenta, Polenta, till it grows out of your ears

After our expensive lunch we were looking for some nice place to have dinner.
One of the places Erica of the B&B recomended was just opposite our location.
It was the Antica Hosteria del Vino Buono, a local restaurant, as was also stated on their businesscard: "Trattoria tipica".

We saw they offered a menu for 28 Euro with 3 courses and drinks included.
We didn't hesitate and got inside to find ourselfs in a nice little restaurant.

The drinks where a karaf of red wine and a karaf of water and a coffee afterwards.

The first dish was brought in and it was Polenta with some slices of the fat side (white side) of the typical ham.
Polenta was mashed corn, quite a bit and it was very filling.

The next dish came a bit too fast and it was a kind of ravioli, but much thicker and very heavy on the stomach.

By now we really were feeling so full.
We wanted to take a little break but the waitres came to look behind the corner if we had finished already.
It seems that in Italy you need to eat fast and they cannot let you sit with an empty plate or with nothing in front of you.

So I acted like I was still eating :)

Then came the third plate and oh no... it was polenta again with some meat. I think it was turkey? or veal? or a mixture?
I could not define because there was a sause put over it.

We didn't started at the polenta, it was just too much of the same in one menu.

After a cappucino we paid our bill.
Our stomach was heavy but we thought that 28 Euro was a bit much asked for pasta and corn?
Bergamo seems to be really expensive and if you find something affordable then the ingredients are not really worth the price.

I must say the service was pleasant and good but if I ever go to eat there again I would not ask for a menu or for anything with polenta.

Address: Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe Bergamo

Comparison: about average

Directions: Città Alta near upper station of the funicular (on a corner)
Closed on Mondays

Phone: +39/(0)35 247 993

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 3

• Written May 22, 2005
Il Fornaio - Bergamo

Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio: Cheap bite but yummie!

Bergamo houses a lot of students as well. They are usually not living on a big budget. It might be helpful to watch where they hang out or get their food from to find out where you can have a cheaper snack then the salad I had at Caffe del Tasso `-)

But even without this tip... if you walk through the main shopping street in the old city centre, the Via Bartolomeo Colleoni, your attention will soon be drawn towards the windows of Il Fornaio!

A plentitute of pizza's, foccacio's, breads....
really mouth watery.

Here you can buy a piece of your likes and have it warmed up in the oven (fornaio).
Once it is ready you can choose to take it with you and eat it outside on the Plazzia or stay inside and eat it at one of the little tables, standing up.

Here they cut the pizza's with cisors... weird :)
But it was tasty
I paid 7,80 for a portion of pizza and a big warmed up sandwich.

Address: Via B. Colleoni 1, Bergamo

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated May 22, 2005
Caffe del Tasso - Bergamo

Caffe del Tasso

caffe del tasso: expensive!

4 euro for 10 cl wine
8 euro for some salad

Comparison: more expensive than average

Rating: 2

• Written May 16, 2005

irisbe

“Always be open to new experiences”

Badges & Stats in Bergamo

Have you been to Bergamo?

Latest Activity in Bergamo