""Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya"- Libya" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by Luchonda

Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos

A trip to north Africa and the medit.sea

This main picture, btw all pictures on my reports are mine, this time i took it from my balconery at the "Al Kabir hotel"
At 6am, the moment the imman was calling for the second pray, at sunrise."

I already booked last year to visit this country full of historical and archeological sites. But the trip was cancelled due to the political situation in the middle east. But this year i got a final yes, be welcome - 10 days in a country bordered by Tunesia, Algeria, Niger Chad, Sudan and finally Egypt.
My itinerary :
Day 7 : Ghadames
Day 8 : Nalut-Guasr Alhay-Sabratha
Day 9 : Tripoli
Day 10: Tripoli-Bxl
I already regret that an extention "fly and drive" for 4 days in the desert was not possible anymore - maybe next time. But my travel mates Lieven and Frank gave me an impression of the desert by pictures and talks at the occasion of an after travel reunion meeting organized by our travel guide Roland.
i saw on VT already the tips and comments of Leyle, Sachara and Cadzand, thx for sharing. But still all info and recommendations are welcome before i leave my beloved Ghent city.

Why Libya ?

The African continent is a puzzle of different countries, politics and culture.
Why not fill in a part of this puzzle, by visiting a country opening his doors recently and still undiscovered.
Visitors expected in 2007: 130.000
Visitors expected in 2015 : 1.000.000
- I'm interested in archeology and historical architecture
Ptolomais, Apollonia, Cyrene, Sabratha and Leptis Magna are world archeological highlights
- In deserts, because they are so beautiful, day and night
- The adventure in travelling

The Tripoli post

Libya, a country with many faces. Conquered by many civilisations, from Roman and Greeks, Osmans, French and Italians but since 1969 ruled by one person, Col.Gadaffi. His face, seen on every corner of a main street in every city, in hotels and restaurants, in musea and every shop

• Pros:A country with a lot of highlights on Roman/Greek history
  • Cons:Libya is not (yet) prepared to host tourists
  • In a nutshell:The first "pure Arabic country" i visited. A challenge and adventure
  • Last visit to Libya: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I have always been curious to see the sites around the country and especially Tripoli. Maybe not enough time for us remaining, and the cultural environment is "iffy" for now. YOur descriptions area great.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM

A very good and interesting page! I hope to go there.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Luc, I Looked at your Libya pages again --- one picture reminds me of Arizona desert -- the one on about the Berber's tradition?

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Wonderful! I would love to visit Leptis Magna one day. Thank you for that fantastic page, which took me on a tour through Lybia. Happy belated birthday! Ulrike

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing. Did you have to go as a threesome to Libya or have they changed the law? Also, Casa Romana in Piazza Amerina may have slightly more mosaics but these are certainly impressive. Cheers.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Hi Luc, great page of Libya ! Ik ontdek 'm nu pas. Marvellous pics and nice tips as usual! I hope once I will find the time to finish my Libyan pages.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I love mosaics and would very much like to see the treasures of Libya. Libya has long been on my wish list and I hope to go there one day. Great tips Luc!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Excellent updatings (since November) about off the beaten tourist path country! Very informative and vivid page with beautiful pics and helpful tips. Outstanding new travelogues! Thanks, Luc, for the virtual tour! Well done VT-job!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Luc, excellent tips and photos here on the 'new' Libya' tourist experience! Your photos of the Temple of Zeus were amazing! I had to laugh at your Beck's beer with fish tip!!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 8:37 AM

A really thorough & well-illustrated page. You're right I think that I would enjoy a visit here. Loved the troglodytes (saw similar years ago in Tunisia) & house in Ghadames as well as the Roman ruins & Sahara

Luchonda

“"You may say i'm a dreamer - but please join me"”

Badges & Stats in Libya