""Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya"- Libya" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by Luchonda
Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos
This main picture, btw all pictures on my reports are mine, this time i took it from my balconery at the "Al Kabir hotel"
At 6am, the moment the imman was calling for the second pray, at sunrise."
I already booked last year to visit this country full of historical and archeological sites. But the trip was cancelled due to the political situation in the middle east. But this year i got a final yes, be welcome - 10 days in a country bordered by Tunesia, Algeria, Niger Chad, Sudan and finally Egypt.
My itinerary :
Day 1 : Bxl - Tripoli
Day 2 : Tripoli-Benghazi-Ptolemais-Qasr Libya - Al Bayda
Day 3 : Cyrene-Apollonia
Day 4 : Ras al Hilal - Al Athroun - Flight back to Tripoli
Day 5 : Leptis Magna
Day 6 : Gharian- Ghadames
Day 7 : Ghadames
Day 8 : Nalut-Guasr Alhay-Sabratha
Day 9 : Tripoli
Day 10: Tripoli-Bxl
I already regret that an extention "fly and drive" for 4 days in the desert was not possible anymore - maybe next time. But my travel mates Lieven and Frank gave me an impression of the desert by pictures and talks at the occasion of an after travel reunion meeting organized by our travel guide Roland.
i saw on VT already the tips and comments of Leyle, Sachara and Cadzand, thx for sharing. But still all info and recommendations are welcome before i leave my beloved Ghent city.
The African continent is a puzzle of different countries, politics and culture.
Why not fill in a part of this puzzle, by visiting a country opening his doors recently and still undiscovered.
Visitors expected in 2007: 130.000
Visitors expected in 2015 : 1.000.000
- I'm interested in archeology and historical architecture
Ptolomais, Apollonia, Cyrene, Sabratha and Leptis Magna are world archeological highlights
- In deserts, because they are so beautiful, day and night
- The adventure in travelling
Libya, a country with many faces. Conquered by many civilisations, from Roman and Greeks, Osmans, French and Italians but since 1969 ruled by one person, Col.Gadaffi. His face, seen on every corner of a main street in every city, in hotels and restaurants, in musea and every shop
- Pros:A country with a lot of highlights on Roman/Greek history
- Cons:Libya is not (yet) prepared to host tourists
- In a nutshell:The first "pure Arabic country" i visited. A challenge and adventure
Houses in Ghadames are made out of mud, lime, and palm tree trunks with covered alleyways between them to offer good... more travel advice
The environment is unique - the desert/Oases (Picture taken by my friend Frank) Touareg jewelry - Silver - no... more travel advice
- See All The previous "Ships" of the desert
- What to put on yr packing list?
- Desert best Campground
- See All Hammam tradition
Luchonda's Related Pages
Libya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Libya revisited"
- ""Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya"- Libya"
- "Libya, the unknown country"
- "Sanddunes and more..........."
- "Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriyah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Libya
- Hotels in Libya
- Transportation in Libya
- Nightlife in Libya
- Restaurants in Libya
- Shopping in Libya
- Warnings and Dangers in Libya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Libya
- 115 Reviews
- 498 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Libya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Libya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 173 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 58 reviews, 252 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 66 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 91 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 72 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 67 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues