Veere Things to Do Tips by Luchonda Top 5 Page for this destination
Veere Things to Do: 25 reviews and 51 photos
The town hall seen from the river
Different pictures, different photo shoot angels. But i think this monument in Veere is worth it to stroll around and take different pictures.
The belfree tower is a landmark in Veere, seen from every corner and so special, the bells themselves are nominated as the best in the Netherlands
Address: Central market place
The Scottish trading house and actualy a museum. The scottish house and staple place for import of wool buided in the 17th century by rich traders. Veere was a perfect place trading goods between the former britisch imperium and the golden years of the Netherlands. The facade is unique and so different from the other landmarks in Veere
Address: Veere - mainstreet
De grote kerk
The great Church a big Gothic church with an unfinished tower in Veere dates from 1348. As from 1811 Napoleon Bonaparte, the french emperor even used the Church as a hospital for his soldiers. Later on it was a "house for beggars" Actualy it only can be visited in the peak seasons - a reason to get back, in general for the local musea and the alround romantic atmosphere.
Directions: Next to Middelburg in "Sealand"
The bell tower
Veere is a cosy historical village, built on the shore of the Western Scheldt
Touristicaly popular in disproportion of it's size. But that is the charm of this romantic village
The townhall itself, a highlight in the small city, located near the sea. I just couldn't get enough of it.
In the near future i will visit an other cosy town : Middelburg, also located in Sealand.
VT members told me that the marketplace and surroundings are as impressive as Veere.
Address: Market Place - Veere
Directions: Sealand - Walcheren
Playing children- a donation by the Rabo Bank
A remarkable statue on the central market place. "Playing children"
A donation by the local "Rabo Bank" at their opening in Veere.
A piece of art by Phosse van Daele
Not only this piece of art, but also the town hall and many pubs and shops are making your day and reflecting a dutch atmosphere.
Address: Market place
Directions: Veere center
The Campveerse Toren, builded around 1500 as fortification of the harbour.
A place with a romantic view on the river. The place were you can hire a tourist excursion on the lake, a place with a nice restaurant and hotel, only pricewise interesting if you can manage special rates during non touristic peaks. The view on the lake is impressive
The mill of Veerle
The mill of Veerle, i think it is called "the cow- de koe" I just spotted this mill at the crossing bridge in the center of Veere, looking for a nice restaurant called "Ouwe Werf"
BTW : the restaurant itself is offering a bike parking place in walking distance.
Detail of the windows
Yes indeed a big church for such a small village. Tall windows have been filled with bricks ' see the difference in the picture '
Most probably it was caused by it's war history and the numberous incidents caused by the strong coastal winds.
More Reviews (10)
- See All Local people and seabirds
- See All Private horse taxi and sailing boats
- Nice place in S.Netherlands
Luchonda's Related Pages
Veere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another daytrip to the Netherlands"
- "Veere just before the tourist season"
- "Itsy pitsy teenie weenie... beautiful little town!"
- "Zeeland, where water en earth are in constant war"
- "Veere, a lovely village!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veere
- Hotels in Veere
- Transportation in Veere
- Nightlife in Veere
- Restaurants in Veere
- Shopping in Veere
- Warnings and Dangers in Veere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veere
- 18 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Veere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veere
Photos in VeereSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 173 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 58 reviews, 252 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 66 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 91 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 72 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 67 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues