"Aalst - Oignon city - between Gent and BXL" Aalst by Luchonda

Aalst Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 245 photos

City of Martens and center of Carneval

Small city between Gent and Brussels - but famous for the yearly Carneval parade.
It is also the town of Martens - a famous previous and first belgian printer (1473).
I visited this town once - it was on a saturday - and the local markets were impressive ! But i had to come back, esp.for the Carnival atmosphere.

Carneval in Belgium

Feb.2006 - Aalst Carneval, nominated as "Wonder of the world"

Carneval in Belgium

Feb.2006 - Aalst Carneval, nominated as "Wonder of the world"

• Pros:A nice little town with a lot of pleasure to offer
  • Last visit to Aalst: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 27, 2006

• Feb 23, 2009 at 2:23 AM

I had the opportunity to attend the 2009 Carnival game - wow, if only a US game could capture the fan excitement. US games at any level look like wakes compared to this. The noise, excitement, costumes and did I mention the flowers?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Wonderful place with a very interesting Sint- Martinus Church! The carnival in Aalst looks nor worst than in Rio. Thanks Luc for the virtual tour!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Luc, funny little page. I didn't know that a frog plays basketball in Aalst. *winkygrin* Merry christmas and a happy new year 2008 from Germany.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Such a nice place" Congrats on your second grandchild!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2003 at 9:58 PM

the Pussy, the Cat and the TomCat.after all this a whole Footballclub...charming

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2003 at 12:31 AM

only been there with carnaval (because I had too!) hahaha but it is a nice city, I should visit it during Summer! It really looks different! soooooo quiet `-) and no voal janette around LOL

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 9:44 AM

Lovely pics, never been here

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 10:34 AM

which fine places can be found so close to the ***ty Brussels!

• kylian74's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 10:25 AM

WHY do you have this thing here! NICE and BEAUTIFUL....Of course I love this place, when was the last time you were in Aalst? tsk! I should rather work on my Aalst page which is still unfinish...haha..I'm too lazy!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 11:43 PM

I never did know, where the babies come from - now I know!!! Excellent pictures once again!

Luchonda

“"You may say i'm a dreamer - but please join me"”

Badges & Stats in Aalst