"Ieper - West of Flanders" Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper by Luchonda
Ieper Travel Guide: 539 reviews and 1,598 photos
Ieper - The battlefield of Flanders in the first WW - but it is more than this - more than the last post !
Interior view on the famous St-Maartens-Cathedral - located in the center
of Ieper - near the Belfry and Lakenhalle.
An impressive Cathedral - reflecting a lot of history (political/religious) of this part of my country - starting in the medievals ... ending
..who knows !
St-Maartens-Cathedral - located in the center of Ieper - near the Belfry and Lakenhalle.
Weaponshields of the most important inhabitants !
The war in the Westhoek was a historical event, and among all the historical events, it is perhaps one of those which will leave the deepest mark, one of the stages of humanity. The ruins of the Cloth Hall, rebuilded stone by stone, and of the Cathedral, a mix of natural stones and productionwise cheaper bricks.
BTW the cloth hall had about 91 statues of the most important rulers of Ypres. Today, only a few are rebuild
- Statue of the holy virgin
- Statue of Baudion 9 and his wife (founders of Ypres)
- Statue of Albert I and his wife ( King during the war)
Located : Near the the entrance of "Flanders Field Museum"
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our places and in the sky
the larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.Short days ago
We lived, felt down, saw sunset glow
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
in Flanders Field
John Mc Crae - May 1915
- Pros:Impressive new builded city after the WW one
The Last Post , every day at 8 PM I quote "To the armees of the British Empire who stood here from 1914 till 1918 and to... more travel advice
The center of Ieper. Place (more than 1ha and second largest in Belgium) to be if you like gothic architecture One of... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Flanders Field Museum
Written May 9, 2016
Flanders Field Museum II
Luchonda's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "IEPER (YPRES)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 21 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
Photos in IeperSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 173 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 58 reviews, 252 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 66 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 91 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 72 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 67 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues