"Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers" Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen by Luchonda

Mechelen Travel Guide: 285 reviews and 676 photos

The market place

Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers is located in the Province of Antwerp.
The river "Dijle" is dividing the city in two main parts. The left upper part (Korenmarkt and Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk) - the right part and second settlement around the Central Market and the Rumbold's cathedral.
Although Mechelen suffered badly during the World Wars of the 20th century, a lot of interesting and beautiful old buildings have been preserved. To name a few :
The St. Rumbold's Cathedral, the former Palace of Margaret of Austria, the Town Hall, and several really beautiful and enchanting houses.

Central Market

Topics in Mechelen :
-Sint Rumbold's Cathedral.
-The townhall and house of councellors
-The Palace of Margareta of York
-The G.Dewit tapestry museum
-Brewery museum (dutch VT members told me !!)
-Palace of Justice
and many more - just take your time.

Sharrie Shaw

Sharrie Shaw, visiting Belgium in June 2005 was consulting the beer list. Finally she had a local beer called "Golden Carolus" named after the famous King "Charles the 5th" - Her comment after tasting - it's different from the Chinese or Japanese beers. No more, no less

• Pros:Nice city to visit; many buildings from the 16th century
  • Cons:It is not easy to find the train station
  • Last visit to Mechelen: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2005

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Obviously, I must keep in mind to visit Mechelen when going to Belgium! No photo of any Honda dream car? I am glad to see the Renault 4Cv looking like a jewel!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Luc, it looks like you like classic cars. Oh and you obviously met some VT celebrities in Mechelen. Well done ... :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 7:11 AM

I'm going to be visiting Mechelen in October for work and you've certainly whetted my appetite - for the city AND for the beer!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I keep missing this city and you've made me regret it even more. And you got Sharrie to drink an entire beer?! I could barely get her to take a sip in Philly.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 3:54 AM

Interesting tips! I'm glad to see that so many of the old buildings are still there. Actually I was surprised to learn that they only clean tapestries nowadays and don't have any orders (from millionaires, for instance) to make new ones.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Hihi you had a lot of fun in Mechelen :-)) I love this town, was visiting quite much (customers), but only saw the restaurants and the building. What a shame that I never went inside somewhere ...

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 11:33 PM

Mechelen is a wonderful city and you caught all its beauty in your pictures, Luc. I'm really sorry I missed the museum of tapestry "Gaspard De Wit". Greetings, Diana

• viddra's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Always happy to learn sth new about your wonderful country... Thanx for the great tour, Luc! Dragana

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2005 at 8:56 PM

very impressive intro here Luc, fantastic pix around. I remember Mechelen through a big accident happend here ages ago.. excellent pag Luc

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 12:54 AM

Hmm do I sense jealousy because there is a link between Antwerp and Mechelen, and NOT with Ghent

Luchonda

“"You may say i'm a dreamer - but please join me"”

Badges & Stats in Mechelen

Have you been to Mechelen?

Latest Activity in Mechelen