"Leptis Magna" Leptis Magna by Luchonda

Leptis Magna Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 223 photos

Arch of Septimius Severus

The entrance to the most beautiful archaeological site around the mediterrean sea

Detail of the Arch

The arch and it's four imposant corinthian pillars showing the successes of the Severan era. The interior shows historical scénes of military campaigns
It reminded me at the "Arch the Triomphe" in Paris . But it is still under renovation by Italian archeologic engineers. Many original statues and reliefs are to be seen in the National museum in Tripoli. A must to visit.

A view on the Bathing facilities

The Hadrianic Baths.The floor of the "caldarium" was heated by the passage of hot gasses through the spaces. The Romans had indirect radiant heating long before we did.

• Last visit to Leptis Magna: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2007

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM

One of the best preserved Roman cities. Too bad where its located is not exactly a friendly country to Americans, otherwise I'd go there.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2008 at 4:33 AM

Stunning page, stunning picture and stunning site! Thank you for sharing.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Leptis Magna is a dream destination and it was already very high on my wish list. Your page has incresaed my will to visit it! It is a pure marvel and one of the most well preserved Roman site (if not THE) .

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Another beautifull off the beaten path place. I wish be there before it would transform into something like "ancient Egypt".

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Libya is on my wishlist and when I one day in the future go there I will defenitly visit Leptis Magna.

Luchonda

“"You may say i'm a dreamer - but please join me"”

Badges & Stats in Leptis Magna

Have you been to Leptis Magna?

Latest Activity in Leptis Magna