"Went back to Egypt in May 2005" Top 5 Page for this destination Temple of Abu Simbel by Luchonda

Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 919 photos

At last - a dream became true

I visited Egypt already 10 years ago - together with Kim, my daughter. But we never stranded deeper than Aswan, the most beautiful place to be in Egypt.
Now i will go back, at last and especially to see the Temple of Abu Simbel - the temple of Ramses II and his beloved wife Nefertari. Due to the installation of a flood controlled barrage, this tremendous temple, builded 32 centuries ago was cutted into more than 1000 blocks of stone and moved, in 1959 , only 60 meters further.
I planned a trip to this temple directly by the Nile Ship Nubian Sea.
A trip on the nile for 4 nights, than back to Luxor for two days, visiting the temples. I was looking forward.

Local builders

More than 3000 builders and scarvers made it possible to move this impressive temple.It took more than 4 years to remove this impressive temple addicted to Ramses II , most of the money paid by the UNESCO

Abu Simbel

Abu Simbel - sound and music show. A special attraction to finalize my visit to this wonder of the world.The program is presented in a number of languages with the provision of ear phones.
The facade of the Great Temple of Ramses is about 38 meters long and 31 meters high. The temple is dedicated to the most important gods of the New Kingdom, Ptah (the creator god of Memphis), Amun-Re (the great god of Thebes) and Re-Harakhte (sun god of Heliopolis), as well as to the Pharaoh Ramses II himself. The four colossi, statues of Ramses II (c. 1290-1224 BCE), are more than 20 meters high and about 4 meters from ear to ear.

• Pros:The final target of my second trip to Egypt
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:A dream became true
  • Last visit to Temple of Abu Simbel: May 2005
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2006

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Thanks Luc for bringing back sweet memories about this magnificent place. Special thanks for desert flora and Wadi El Sebua (i couldn't visit it). Cruise along Lake Nasser seem to be nor least interesting than cruise along the Nile!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Fantastic pictures and my future dream destination for sure! I like the Tomb of Penout a lot and flowers in the desert as well. Great pics in travelogues, too!

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Interesting light and sound show! something cant miss in Egypt.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2006 at 10:31 AM

Abu Simbel is sooo beautiful! And your flowers in the desert are great!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 1:04 AM

Sounds nice to take a cruise to Abu Simbel. You will be able to see so many more places then when you go by car. Wadi El Sebua looks like a very interesting place.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Excellent page about one of my dream destinations. I love your travelogues, especially the one with Nubian people. And pictures with the flowers in the dessert are just great.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2005 at 6:39 PM

Exciting page with lots of information - and I love the close-up pics of all the details :-)) Wish I could go there, one day, too :-)

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 2:28 AM

It took me 40 years to get there since I first read about the rescue when still a schoolgirl; but it was worth it. Thanks for the great photos.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 11:06 PM

Abu Simbol was my dream too, it was the higlight of my trip to sail towards it fabulous photographs here, thank you for sharing

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2005 at 9:09 PM

A very complete page on Abu Simbel with great photos !

Luchonda

“"You may say i'm a dreamer - but please join me"”

Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel

Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?

Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel