Belgium Local Custom Tips by Luchonda Top 5 Page for this destination
Belgium Local Customs: 253 reviews and 249 photos
De Brabander and Palm
Not only the art of making belgian beer - but also the will to keep belgian traditions on the highest level. The "Jump" from a beer to a horse is not logic - but shows the heart of belgian industry, this next to chocolate - frites - laces etc.
The famous "PALM" beer is only one example - the brewery is located in Steenhuffel - near Londerzeel - or more general - between Antwerp an BXL in Waals Brabant.
For more than 25 years (1980) the Palm brewery put the beer itself and "De Brabander" on one logo and was significant for the belgian tradition and selection of what mothers nature has to offer.
Other Contact: Fax 0032(0)52 30 41 67
Phone: 0032(0)5 31 74 11
Belgium has a lot of traditional and popular feasts like
- The Gentse Feesten (Ghent)
- Fetes de Wallonie (Namur)
- Fetes d'Outremeuse ( Liege)
- Garnalenfeest (Koksijde)
- Carnival (Aalst)
Belgians like to have a good meal, not limited to the traditional "Moules & Frites" but many times enriched by the famous "Ganda Ham" - "Asperges flamandes" - "Godiva chocolates" - "Waffles from Brussels" and a strong tasting cheese from "Herve"
In short - a plate representing all specialities of the Belgian provinces together. And than i forgot the art of making the famous Belgian beers !!!
The famous Belgian chocolate !!
Léonidas - 100% pure chocolate
Even cheese making in Belgium is famous ( Passendale) :
- The world in pieces of cheese ! Even on this item (besides the political ones) there will be always a culinary difference beween France, the Netherlands and the rest of the cheese producing countries.
Breweries in Flanders
A chart of the famous Belgian - even more - the flemish beer breweries., industrial or family tradition made and bottled tranquilizers
Taste a Liefmans in Oudenaarde, or a Kwak in Buggenhout - even a Duvel made in Breendonk can inspire many locals and tourists.If you want to learn more about Belgian beer breweries - read the pages of VT member "Irisbe". She knows every detail about the belgian art to brew beer.
Sint-Denijs-Westrem is a location near Ghent; Several exhibitions are organised at the famous Expo Hallen. One of them are the Floralies of Ghent, another one is the erotic festival, but this is a page apart.
The flower and green plant exhibition :
Artistic stands, a novelty at the flower and plant show, edition 2005 is definately an added value and stimulates the competiton between the many exhibitors
I saw this prayer to the lord in heaven when he stayed in Ghent, not so long ago.
Free translation :
Our Lord, present in all the pubs of Ghent,
your miracle of turning water into genever will be praised.
Give us our daily genever, and my apologizes for the outstanding accounts.
Release me from the empty glasses."
Different flavours - and the best but most expensive you will find during the yearly "Gentsche Fieste" at the local stands - ask Danielle- she survived the genever tour.
One of the culinary tips whenever visiting Belgium. Next to chocolate we have home made "Gentsche Waffles", "Waffles Liegois"
"Waffles Brusselois" and in case of Gent you will find simply on the "Groentenmarkt" the best waffles in town, sugar waffles made by natural ingredients
Another culinary tip whenever visiting the flemish area of Belgium. Taste the famous "Ganda Ham"
I took this picture in Ghent (of course) , in the center of the old town, next to the "Vleeshallen"
An old tradition - fishing shrimps by mean of horses !!
Still tradition in "De Panne" and Middelkerke - at the western coast of Belgium
More Reviews (57)
- Northern Belgium in winter time
- See All The Province of Hainaut
- See All Six days biking
- The part of Belgium i live in - East...
- See All A perfect bistro in Ghent
Luchonda's Related Pages
Belgium Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Belgium by cows". Translation: Norali"
- "Belgium is like >. big!"
- "Belgium - So small but so different in landscapes"
- "My Homeland"
- "Paul's Journey Through Belgium"
- "The real cows"
- "Belgium places to visit and beers to drink"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgium
- Hotels in Belgium
- Transportation in Belgium
- Nightlife in Belgium
- Restaurants in Belgium
- Shopping in Belgium
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgium
- See All...
Explore the World
- Varadero Hotels
- Midland Hotels
- Nhava Hotels
- Kampong Jelebu
- Otok Kolocep
- Bristol Hotels
Badges & Stats in Belgium
- 645 Reviews
- 1,840 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 42 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Belgium?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgium
- Wrote a Review Northern Belgium in winter time in Belgium Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Northern Belgium in winter time"
- Commented on one of whatawonderfulworld.'s Belgium travel pages
- Posted in Travel Czech Republic Forum "Re: Currency???"
- updated a Belgium Travelogue "Tour de France 2007"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 173 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 58 reviews, 252 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 66 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 91 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 72 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 67 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Top Belgium hotels
- Brussels Hotels
- 5565 Reviews - 11828 Photos
- Brugge Hotels
- 2680 Reviews - 7153 Photos
- Antwerp Hotels
- 2853 Reviews - 7112 Photos
- Oostende Hotels
- 511 Reviews - 1641 Photos
- Charleroi Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 133 Photos
- Gent Hotels
- 1406 Reviews - 3613 Photos
- Leuven Hotels
- 482 Reviews - 1062 Photos
- Ieper Hotels
- 464 Reviews - 1301 Photos
- De Panne Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 116 Photos
- Boom Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Mons Hotels
- 212 Reviews - 416 Photos
- Bastogne Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 183 Photos
- Namur Hotels
- 189 Reviews - 490 Photos
- Roeselare Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Kortrijk Hotels
- 101 Reviews - 692 Photos