"When Kings lived in Versailles" Top 5 Page for this destination Versailles by Luchonda
Versailles Travel Guide: 666 reviews and 2,489 photos
Versailles - about 20 km western Paris
Formerly an immense hunting ground ( les Trianons )
Actualy the most famous "Chateau" in Europe - Peter the great tried to do it better - but failed.
Some figures :
- Garden : 800 ha, protected by 40km of walls
- The castle has about 900 employees - 400 for security
- Yearly about 10 million visitors - especially for the gardens
- There are about 600 fountains fed with water via 35km of water pipes
- To realize this Chateau and dream of King Louis XIV, the invoice was
116 500 000 livres or let's say 2 billion Euro
Stroll around the fountains and admire the water jets, explore the groves while enjoying live music concert performed in the royal garden.Walk through the French-style garden in the heart of the 800 hectares - imagined by Louis XIV himself and created in 1662 by the King's head gardener "Le Notre", who took 40 years to bring it to completion
Detail of a painting in his private War room
Napoléon never intended to stay in Versailles ... but as ruler of France and pirate of the Egyptian treasures - you will find an obelisk in his war room and some great war pictures of this little, but so great ruler of France.Napoléon Bonaparte and France - the war room itself is very impressive and i liked the huge paintings fully detailling French glory at the many battlefields.
Another place in the private rooms of Versailles, showing the different battles fields during France glorious time is "The gallery of the Battles"
- Battle of Poittiers
- Battle of Bouvines
- Battle of Austerlitz
But i never saw a Battlefield painting of Waterloo, Maybe better have a look on my London page, Nelson - a name to be reminded
France and even European rulers at that time are watching over the King's sleep, politic steps and cultural influence.
Originally there was only one fire place in the room, the one one which the bust of Louis XIV by Coysefox is placed. The room has a marvelous view on the gardens.
Louis XIV and his culturale influence : he decided to reimport the marble stones from Italy never reimported since the fall of the Roman Empire
- Pros:Most famous Chateau in Europe
- Cons:Be there on the right time when flowers grow.
- In a nutshell:Nice place to visit
Napoléon and France - the war room itself is very impressive and i liked the huge paintings fully detailling French... more travel advice
I visited Versailles castle in may 2006 - many place of the castle itself, the interior AND the walls are under... more travel advice
Luchonda's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 29 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
- Posted in Travel Czech Republic Forum "Re: Currency???"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Versailles travel pages
- updated a Versailles Travel Page "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- Uploaded a Photo to "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- Wrote a Review L'Empereur de France in Versailles Things to Do
Photos in VersaillesSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 173 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 58 reviews, 252 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 66 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 91 reviews, 137 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 72 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 67 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 134 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 711 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Huttopia Versailles
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013