"Spy School. NOT" De Anza Village by jrgentle

De Anza Village Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos

Fort Huachuca

One of the oldest Army bases still in service, was the home of the African American 10th Calvary known as the Buffalo Soldiers.

Hello, one, and all. Here I am in sunny Ft. Huachuca, Arizona. For the non-Americanos in the group, that is in the southwest part of the USA. I am attending the US Army Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course. Or you can just call it what I call it. Hell.
Well let’s just take this from the top. I left wonderful Heidelberg at the end of March amidst a flurry of goodbye drinks, packing, more goodbye drinks, followed by no packing, some goodbye hugs, followed by all my packing for 5 months in about 3 hours. What else is new? It took me 24 hours of flying to get here and it was not the most enjoyable experience I have ever had. Well Ft. Huachuca is located about an hour from the Mexican border in the middle of nowhere. It is the former home of the Famous “Buffalo Soldiers” of the 10th Calvery Regiment. The Americans out there will know of who I speak, for the rest of you, these are the guys that Bob Marley sings about. Well Arizona is most likely the sunniest place I have ever been in my life. The sky is blue. Always. Everyday. Its like these guys get up every morning to paint the sky this beautiful shade of blue, and you only see clouds when they miss a spot. Having said that, it did SNOW three times the first week that I was here. Guess what I failed to pack 3 hours before my flight? You got it, a coat. Oh well, since then it’s been splendid. I even get to watch the sunrise everyday. Not by choice. Which brings me to my course.
The course is a standard Army course, where they attempt to teach us all the things we need to be successful Army Intelligence Officers. (Stop laughing, all of you) We are taught all sort of things like how to kick someone out of the Army for not listening to you, how to identify every Tank in the world (if its close enough for me to have to identify it, I’m dead anyway. But at least I will know what killed me) and other things like combat radios, computers and stuff like that. Army stuff, you figure it out. My classmates come from all across the states and we even have 9 Marines and 9 students from other countries. I have to say that they are truly an outstanding group of people. We get along very well and we all help each other out on all the things we have to do. My day starts every morning at about 5:10 am. We are due in formation at 5:50am for about an hour and a half of torture. Ft. H. is right next to a mountain range and there is no such animal as a flat road to run on here. Anywhere. Needless to say, I would pay good money for a massage. Then we are in class at 8:30am and we go till about 5:30pm everyday. So most nights I get home, study a bit, and then I am in bed at about 10-10:30pm. I can’t believe it either. In the first week they assigned everybody a position in the class. Like class leader, medical officer, supply officer, operations officer etc. That person is responsible for everything in that area for the entire time we are here. Now guess which position I was assigned. That’s right. The Social Officer. I know. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?????? Can you believe they put me in charge of all the social events for the whole summer? Well to get the ball rolling, I promptly had a BBQ at my apartment (great pad, 2 bedrooms, balcony, swimming pool, hot tub, view of the mountains. I have standards ya know) Everyone came over and I grilled up a few steaks and such. I guess we had a good time. The policeman that arrived said we were having too much of a good time. I was all humble at the door until I realized that one of them was an absolute vision. She could have been the twin of Halle Berry. I then of course switched to Rico Suave mode and tried to get her phone number. This is when the cuffs came out. For once my Diplomatic Passport had no juice. It doesn’t work in THIS country. She was kidding of course, but our commander did raise an eyebrow when a picture of me being handcuffed by a Miss America runner-up appeared on the class bulletin board.

• Intro Written Mar 14, 2002

Comments

jrgentle

“...And I took the road less traveled....”

Badges & Stats in De Anza Village

Have you been to De Anza Village?

Latest Activity in De Anza Village