"There's more to Hiroshima than radiation!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima by GenkiMac

Hiroshima Travel Guide: 386 reviews and 939 photos

In the 21st century, Hiroshima intends to sour to new heights as a city of humanity. We intend to create a spiritual home for all people, a home with compasssion, a source of creativity and energy for our planet's children and youth, a city offering a personal place of rest and comfort for all, young or old, male and female."
Words by Tadatoshi Akiba, mayor of Hiroshima,
August 6th, 2001

Just as Sadako Sasaki folded her paper cranes one by one for peace, we must work continuallly to solve our own problems, one by one. We must create small havens of peace around us, bound by strong threads of empathy and mutual understanding. We must deepen these bonds with friends throughout the world, sustaining courage and creating te desire for peace."
Words by childrens representatives Yasunori Hatakeyama (6th grade) and Yuka Fujimori (6th grade).
6th August, 2001.
First Peace Memorial Day of the 21st century.

I had never thought much before about where I live but since making sites on VT it has had the effect of making me want to explore and analyse and see the good in things that are easily taken for granted (as a traveller does in comparison to someone who lives there and sees the attractions everyday). I think the peace museum in Hiroshima is so well done and so important and yet I didn't have any photos of that or the park and until now I haven't thought about or wanted to convey it's importance to anyone. The best thing about the museum is that it makes you realise how much Hiroshima as a city believes in making sure that no one anywhere in the world experiences what they did ever again. There are hundreds of letters on display by mayors from years back begging the leaders of Nuclear testing countries to think about how much life means and what we should all have learnt from Hiroshima. VT has made me want to go out again and see everything I took for granted the first time so I can share the history and thoughts of Japan with those who don't have the same chance I have- not to mention never leaving home without my camera again!

• Last visit to Hiroshima: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2005

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 9:27 AM

very nice photos from Japan. What happened in Hiroshima is unfortunately happening in a small scale everywhere . Thank you for your nice comments.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 8:11 AM

Very good page on hiroshima, thanks for sharing!

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2005 at 4:54 PM

Thanks for the good information and photos about Hiroshima. I think you have captured the spirit of the place. Greetings from Oregon, USA.

• May 31, 2004 at 2:11 AM

Nice page, tips and phtographs. Greetings from India. Superb covergae of the place which is still in the minds of the people all over the world.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2004 at 5:46 AM

Nicely done. Hiroshima may happen again if the bad guys get their hands on enough black market fuel.

• glennkasner's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 1:04 AM

The Peace Museum sure hit's home the message of "May it never happen again" I was deeply moved when I visited it years back. Seems to have been re-vamped since then.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2004 at 10:18 AM

Now here's one of the reason's why your nick starts with "Genki" (am I right?). Hiroshima is indeed tragical and wonderful in the same time. Great page. Thank you. Greetings, Paul

• convoyblue's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2003 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for sharing such impressive tips & glamorous photos of Hiroshima and Osaka.Well done page!

• ayesh's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2002 at 5:59 AM

Excellently done! You make Japan rise on my priority list!

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2002 at 2:56 PM

Beautiful page: good info, photos and travelogues

GenkiMac

“CHOOSE LIFE!”

Badges & Stats in Hiroshima

Have you been to Hiroshima?

Photos in Hiroshima