"There's more to Hiroshima than radiation!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima by GenkiMac
Hiroshima Travel Guide: 467 reviews and 1,315 photos
In the 21st century, Hiroshima intends to sour to new heights as a city of humanity. We intend to create a spiritual home for all people, a home with compasssion, a source of creativity and energy for our planet's children and youth, a city offering a personal place of rest and comfort for all, young or old, male and female."
Words by Tadatoshi Akiba, mayor of Hiroshima,
August 6th, 2001
Just as Sadako Sasaki folded her paper cranes one by one for peace, we must work continuallly to solve our own problems, one by one. We must create small havens of peace around us, bound by strong threads of empathy and mutual understanding. We must deepen these bonds with friends throughout the world, sustaining courage and creating te desire for peace."
Words by childrens representatives Yasunori Hatakeyama (6th grade) and Yuka Fujimori (6th grade).
6th August, 2001.
First Peace Memorial Day of the 21st century.
I had never thought much before about where I live but since making sites on VT it has had the effect of making me want to explore and analyse and see the good in things that are easily taken for granted (as a traveller does in comparison to someone who lives there and sees the attractions everyday). I think the peace museum in Hiroshima is so well done and so important and yet I didn't have any photos of that or the park and until now I haven't thought about or wanted to convey it's importance to anyone. The best thing about the museum is that it makes you realise how much Hiroshima as a city believes in making sure that no one anywhere in the world experiences what they did ever again. There are hundreds of letters on display by mayors from years back begging the leaders of Nuclear testing countries to think about how much life means and what we should all have learnt from Hiroshima. VT has made me want to go out again and see everything I took for granted the first time so I can share the history and thoughts of Japan with those who don't have the same chance I have- not to mention never leaving home without my camera again!
You wouldn't expect Hiroshima, Japan to be the place to go for a bush walk but it really really is!!! If you haven't... more travel advice
The ability of the museum to make you forget about who was right and who was wrong and instead think about what is right... more travel advice
GenkiMac's Related Pages
Hiroshima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hiroshima - a sad part of history"
- "A yearning for peace"
- "There's more to Hiroshima than radiation!"
- "Hiroshima - City of Peace"
- "The city of Peace and Culture!"
- "City of Peace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hiroshima
- Hotels in Hiroshima
- Transportation in Hiroshima
- Nightlife in Hiroshima
- Restaurants in Hiroshima
- Shopping in Hiroshima
- Warnings and Dangers in Hiroshima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hiroshima
- 24 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 63 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hiroshima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hiroshima
- updated a Hiroshima Travel Page "There's more to Hiroshima than radiation!"
- Posted in Travel South America Forum "Re: Where would you go?"
- Wrote a Review Getting back to Nature! in Hiroshima Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "There's more to Hiroshima than radiation!"
- Commented on one of luciano's Hiroshima travel pages
Photos in HiroshimaSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 24 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 18 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Korea Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 4 travelogues
- Osaka Intro, 12 reviews, 8 photos